Following Recipe Directions Vs. Conventional Wisdom

Baking By Betheigh Updated 14 Nov 2010 , 10:43pm by LindaF144a

Betheigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Betheigh Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 36

Hi Guys,

I've been reading this board for months, but am just a mere home baker (I don't sell or bake my cakes for others, etc.) so haven't taken the opportunity to post. I will say that I enjoy reading this forum and utilizing some of the tricks and tips and recipes y'all provide.

I have been struggling with a few issues with some of my cakes and I wanted to ask some questions. I have a feeling that some of the issues I experience when baking cakes comes from overbeating. I know this is a common mistake so I don't feel too terrible about it, but I certainly want to remedy it.

The real problem lies in the fact that a lot of recipes state, as the final step, something along the lines of, 'beat batter on medium speed for 2 minutes.' But, when I go read baking tips, people warn against over beating batter! What's worse is sometimes, even in books and on blogs, people will have recipes that state this as a last step, but then (on the very same website or in the same book) have a page or section devoted to baking tips that advise against doing this - it just makes everything very confusing to me.

Second - my mixer came with a little book that tells me what each speed is used for. However, I'm curious - what do y'all use as 'low' 'medium-low' 'medium', etc. I have two KA stand mixers with speeds 1-10 and just kind of guess, but is there a definitive number that corresponds with a specific speed?

Thanks for the help!!

35 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 36

Welcome! I wouldn't make the assumption any of your issues are from overbeating. What is the problem you are having? If your cake is tough and you know its a good recipe, that may be the problem.

Betheigh Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 36

Thanks for your response - I appreciate it.

I think over beating may be a problem in a couple of my recipes, yeah. But, maybe it is best to break this down by recipe since some of my cakes turn out fine and some don't, and each have their own specific problems.

The cake I have the most problems with is a cold oven pound cake recipe I lifted from a blog. It rises, then sinks in the middle and cracks.

The cake is done on the outside, and under the crack (which is quite good - crispy and chewy and yum), there is about a half of inch of air and then gummy cake inside - it looks like the top part of the overall cake/cupcake rose but the middle didn't rise along with it. I've tried this both with a cake pan and cupcake pan and I always get the same result.

I hope that I described that clearly - kind of tough, haha.

Betheigh Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 36

Oh, and I'm still curious what you think about the over beating, in general. In most cases, should I avoid that last directive, and just mix/stir/beat until combined or is it really recipe specific, or cake-type specific?

Thank you!!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 36

Betheigh, as far as beating your cake mixes, this is what I learned from Emeril Lagasse on the Food Network...I think he is spot on. First put in your sifted dry ingredients into your stand mixture...turn the mixer on low as to not throw the dry ingredients and add your liquid ingredients (except eggs) just until incorporated...stop the mixer...scrap down the sides and bottom of bowl with a rubber spatula...turn mixer back on slow/medium...add each egg one at a time until completely incorporated and turn off the mixer. Scrap sides and bottom of bowl to assure no dry ingredients remain stuck. Pour into prepared pans. No specific time at all.

Betheigh Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 36

Interesting! So, you think throwing out the creaming method altogether is best bet and this is what you've had the most success with?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 12:00am
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

Betheigh, as far as beating your cake mixes, this is what I learned from Emeril Lagasse on the Food Network...I think he is spot on. First put in your sifted dry ingredients into your stand mixture...turn the mixer on low as to not throw the dry ingredients and add your liquid ingredients (except eggs) just until incorporated...stop the mixer...scrap down the sides and bottom of bowl with a rubber spatula...turn mixer back on slow/medium...add each egg one at a time until completely incorporated and turn off the mixer. Scrap sides and bottom of bowl to assure no dry ingredients remain stuck. Pour into prepared pans. No specific time at all.

This may work for cake mixes, but if you are a scratch baker, you need to follow the directions and if it calls for creaming first, do it. Don't just dump the ingredients in the bowl and mix, you will have a disaster. As to why a recipe you took from a blog doesn't work, it may not be you but the recipe. Often, I swear recipes are misstated on purpose.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 12:00am
post #8 of 36

First, why is it that a lot of newbies think they have to wait months before they register as a member here? Hey, just sign on and say hello - learn how to read the past forums, learn how to use the search option in the forums to see if your question has already been asked, and read, read, read, until you need visine to get the red out!

That being said -

Buy a good oven thermometer (not one from a dollar store) and check to make sure your oven is baking at the correct temperature. If it is not, you will either have to have it re-calibrated or lower your temp to accommodate the difference. Your oven may be baking too hot, which would give you a top that bakes too fast and a center that does not bake at all. Compensating temperature is a pain in the butt. There are instructions for calibrating ovens available online.

I never mix a cake past 5 on my ka, unless I'm beating the egg whites separately from the yolks.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 12:10am
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betheigh

Oh, and I'm still curious what you think about the over beating, in general. In most cases, should I avoid that last directive, and just mix/stir/beat until combined or is it really recipe specific, or cake-type specific?

Thank you!!

I do not like the last statement in recipes that say beat for two minutes. That is just plan wrong. All my research finds that to be disastrous to cake batters. This stre gthens the gluten I. The flour that you do NOT want to happen and yup get one tough dry cake.
For scratch baking, and there is a distinction, you want to turn your KA to 4 and beat for 10 seconds while counting 1, 1,000, 2, 1,000..... etc. til you get to 10. Then turn off the mixer. Take your spatula and get down to the bottom of the bowl and give it a good turn. If there is any discoloration in the batter that looks like it was not mixed thoroughly, I will then fold the batter over a few times, but then that is it.

Overbeating is definitely the culprit. Listen to your intuition.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 12:33am
post #10 of 36

Not all recipes are created equal! I do recommend checking the oven temp. However, if other recipes are coming out well. Your oven is more than likely OK or close to being OK. If you are novice baker, be very picky about where you get your recipes- particularly on the internet or magazines. (The Taste of Home is usually safe.) If you could get Farm Journal recipe books I would recommend them. - It was a farm magazine that went out of business in the late seventies. It was always good. - The other places where you can generally find good recipes is product web sites. King Arthur Flour, Hershey's, or Swansdown. They want you to use their product so the recipes they publish tend to be first rate.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 12:36am
post #11 of 36

The "beat for two minutes" could also mean use a hand mixer, not a stand mixer. The stand mixer will give you different results. I don't time my mixing time, but I know that I never mix batter for two whole minutes.

Overmixing can cause cakes to fall during baking, as can an oven that's too cold.

Betheigh Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:22am
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

First, why is it that a lot of newbies think they have to wait months before they register as a member here? Hey, just sign on and say hello - learn how to read the past forums, learn how to use the search option in the forums to see if your question has already been asked, and read, read, read, until you need visine to get the red out!

That being said -

Buy a good oven thermometer (not one from a dollar store) and check to make sure your oven is baking at the correct temperature. If it is not, you will either have to have it re-calibrated or lower your temp to accommodate the difference. Your oven may be baking too hot, which would give you a top that bakes too fast and a center that does not bake at all. Compensating temperature is a pain in the butt. There are instructions for calibrating ovens available online.

I never mix a cake past 5 on my ka, unless I'm beating the egg whites separately from the yolks.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your insight. I did purchase an oven thermometer, two even - probably a year ago. I feel pretty confident that the issue has nothing to do with my oven temperature.

I can't say I never go past 5, but I will say I don't do it routinely.

Also - I know how to use the search function, and have read threads and posts from years ago. I've spent hours on this forum and know how to use the search function, and have read many, many, many old posts/threads. I might be a newbie, but I'm not a total newb! icon_smile.gif

Betheigh Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:24am
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

This may work for cake mixes, but if you are a scratch baker, you need to follow the directions and if it calls for creaming first, do it. Don't just dump the ingredients in the bowl and mix, you will have a disaster. As to why a recipe you took from a blog doesn't work, it may not be you but the recipe. Often, I swear recipes are misstated on purpose.

Thanks for your response. I do use cake mixes sometimes - have a few on hand for 'emergencies,' haha, but I do mostly bake from scratch. It has been so long since I've made a cake with a baking mix that I don't even remember how I mixed it. I normally use an enhanced or modified recipe anyway, so I guess it probably differed depending on what cake.

Betheigh Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:28am
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Quote:

Thank you!!

I do not like the last statement in recipes that say beat for two minutes. That is just plan wrong. All my research finds that to be disastrous to cake batters. This stre gthens the gluten I. The flour that you do NOT want to happen and yup get one tough dry cake.
For scratch baking, and there is a distinction, you want to turn your KA to 4 and beat for 10 seconds while counting 1, 1,000, 2, 1,000..... etc. til you get to 10. Then turn off the mixer. Take your spatula and get down to the bottom of the bowl and give it a good turn. If there is any discoloration in the batter that looks like it was not mixed thoroughly, I will then fold the batter over a few times, but then that is it.

Overbeating is definitely the culprit. Listen to your intuition.

Thanks for responding. I will definitely try your counting tip and then the last little hand mixing. I read where some folks just hand mix the batter after the last addition of flour, but I thought it might not get mixed properly. Your method seems like a good solution - a little bit of both!

Sometimes I feel like I am almost being tooooo picky about this, but it just seems to me that even very minor things can make such a big difference.

I had plans to bake a cake tonight - went to the store, bought some new baking powder just to be sure that wasn't the issue, and got home only to realize I was missing an entirely different ingredient. Ugh! Maybe tomorrow!

Betheigh Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:32am
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

Not all recipes are created equal! I do recommend checking the oven temp. However, if other recipes are coming out well. Your oven is more than likely OK or close to being OK. If you are novice baker, be very picky about where you get your recipes- particularly on the internet or magazines. (The Taste of Home is usually safe.) If you could get Farm Journal recipe books I would recommend them. - It was a farm magazine that went out of business in the late seventies. It was always good. - The other places where you can generally find good recipes is product web sites. King Arthur Flour, Hershey's, or Swansdown. They want you to use their product so the recipes they publish tend to be first rate.

Thanks! I guess you are right - I hadn't thought much about the source. I do read comments on some of the recipes I use from blogs and of course people may leave feedback, but sometimes they don't so in some ways I am flying blind.

I love the Farm Journal books and have at least 5 or 6, and even the one on ice cream and cakes! They are all real gems. I will check out the websites you've mentioned - I think I've only looked at KA Flour site briefly, but the other two, I am pretty sure I haven't even peeked it. Oh, and I just subscribed to Taste of Home, so I'm glad to see that you have had good luck with their recipes.

Betheigh Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:35am
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

The "beat for two minutes" could also mean use a hand mixer, not a stand mixer. The stand mixer will give you different results. I don't time my mixing time, but I know that I never mix batter for two whole minutes.

Overmixing can cause cakes to fall during baking, as can an oven that's too cold.

I thought the fact that this specific recipe is a cold oven pound cake recipe might make it more finicky! Ick! I really love the recipe so I'm wondering how it would fare if I just baked it in a pre-heated oven. I'll have to give it a try.

Thank you!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:39am
post #17 of 36

Have you tried the Magic Strips around your pan to even out the baking. From what you are describing, it sounds like the outer edges are baking at a faster rate. The Magic Strips are moistened and pinned around your cake pan. This will slow down the outer layer and it should bake evenly. What temp are you baking on?

snowshoe1 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:25am
post #18 of 36
Quote:

There are many methods for mixing cakes - it depends on the ingredients and the desired outcome: One Step Method; High Ratio Method (YES - will often require about 2 minutes); Creaming Method; Modified Creaming Method; Angel Food Mixing Method; Chiffon Mixing Method; Sponge Mixing Method (e.g. sponge, genoise, biscuit, etc...), etc... To state that you should never beat something for 2 minutes is not correct. If you want to email me your recipe I can look at it try to figure it out as your issue could be the recipe. Ingredients and the quantities will react differently - some will tenderize, some will toughen (and the word 'toughen is not negative as you need some strength in all types of cakes).

Betheigh Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:51am
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

Have you tried the Magic Strips around your pan to even out the baking. From what you are describing, it sounds like the outer edges are baking at a faster rate. The Magic Strips are moistened and pinned around your cake pan. This will slow down the outer layer and it should bake evenly. What temp are you baking on?

I haven't tried them yet because I've heard mixed results with them. I will shop around and give them a try - honestly, since I decided not to use them, I had kind of forgotten about them!

For most cakes, I bake on 325 F. For this specific cold oven pound cake recipe, I bake on them on 275 F for 1 hour per the recipe instructions.

When I bake on 325 with some recipes (typically the butter cakes), I have the same problem, though. This is especially true if I bake in a wide/large pan like a 9x13 - a cake that turns out just fine in a regular 9 inch round will be under baked in the middle in a 9x13 pan.

Thanks for your help!

Betheigh Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:57am
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Quote:

There are many methods for mixing cakes - it depends on the ingredients and the desired outcome: One Step Method; High Ratio Method (YES - will often require about 2 minutes); Creaming Method; Modified Creaming Method; Angel Food Mixing Method; Chiffon Mixing Method; Sponge Mixing Method (e.g. sponge, genoise, biscuit, etc...), etc... To state that you should never beat something for 2 minutes is not correct. If you want to email me your recipe I can look at it try to figure it out as your issue could be the recipe. Ingredients and the quantities will react differently - some will tenderize, some will toughen (and the word 'toughen is not negative as you need some strength in all types of cakes).

I should have specified those cakes that employ the creaming method - sorry!

I appreciate the offer - here is the full recipe. It was actually found through a blog with a link back to this page on Bakespace:

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Annie-Laurie's-Cold-Oven-Pound-Cake/7096/

On the blog post where I found the recipe, the author and another reader had no problems making the cake. I and another reader experience similar problems as one another.

Thanks a bunch!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:36am
post #21 of 36
Quote:

Personally, I feel this could be part of the issue. Most recipes in home cook books are written for little hand mixers. There is a difference between the small beaters of a hand mixer, vs the Paddle attachment of a KA mixer.
The mixing times and speeds would be different. Your KA mixer came with a book, and I believe there maybe recipes in it for cake. I would look up those recipes and try it, and then compare it to the other recipes you want to use. If the recipe in the KA book are similar, then you should be able to adjust your mixing time and speeds accordingly.

That paddle could be responsible for over beating. You can get funky results from beating eggs too long. (unless for meringue) You can also beat the dickens out of the gluten in the flour, thus creating tough baked goods.

I think you are on the right track, trying to trouble shoot your recipes and asking for help.
All I can suggest is that you keep trouble shooting until you find a product you like.

I hope this helps.
tokazodo

snowshoe1 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:38pm
post #22 of 36
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I should have specified those cakes that employ the creaming method - sorry!

I appreciate the offer - here is the full recipe. It was actually found through a blog with a link back to this page on Bakespace:

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Annie-Laurie's-Cold-Oven-Pound-Cake/7096/

On the blog post where I found the recipe, the author and another reader had no problems making the cake. I and another reader experience similar problems as one another.

Thanks a bunch!

I sent you back an email - check your spam if you don't get it.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:47pm
post #23 of 36

Betheigh- If you have the FJ county fair winner's recipe book, the Champion Sponge Cake with pineapple frosting is brilliant. The pineapple frosting deteriorates within a day-so don't use that frosting if the cake is not going to be eaten in one day. The only trick with that one is not to over bake. I won a blue ribbon with that one at a local fair. In fact most of the blue ribbons I have won have been with Farm Journal recipes. I gave a friend a copy of the their cranberry -blueberry pie recipe, and she promptly took a first place with it.

LindaF144a Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:56pm
post #24 of 36
Quote:

Quote:

There are many methods for mixing cakes - it depends on the ingredients and the desired outcome: One Step Method; High Ratio Method (YES - will often require about 2 minutes); Creaming Method; Modified Creaming Method; Angel Food Mixing Method; Chiffon Mixing Method; Sponge Mixing Method (e.g. sponge, genoise, biscuit, etc...), etc... To state that you should never beat something for 2 minutes is not correct.

I'm sorry, but most home hobby bakers this is correct to a degree. There are two reasons. First the "hi-ratio" method is for recipes that have more sugar then flour ratio. This works for batters that use hi ratio shortening, something not readily available to the average home baker. Or before Crisco went mostly, but not all, trans fat free. Now we have the blogosphere where people take recipes, substitute butter for the shortening without reformulating the flour/sugar ratio. They also do not redo the batter making process. They may get good luck for whatever reason the first time, or think that the sunken look in the center is just indicative of scratch cakes and not do anything about it. I have seen plenty of cake photos with the sunken bottom and the author stating it is the best cake ever. Shirley Corriher said it best in her book Bakewise that a sad cake is the best cake to eat. That doesn't mean it was made right.

It certainly is better for the cake to not be beaten for two minutes than it is to beat for two minutes - at the end stage. The gluten gets over developed, as said several times here, and then problems arise. I find that most recipes assume one is using a hand mixer. I have also seen over and over the statement that if you use a hand mixer that is the time you need to mix longer than a stand mixer.

The second reason is that we all have different equipment, different brands (even that will make a difference, more than one thinks) and different ideas on what a cake should taste like.

I notice in the recipe she does state to beat for two minutes "using a hand mixer". Those words there should raise a red flag to any body using a stand mixer that this recipe process needs to be revamped to work with your tools. Plus that recipe is a very temperamental recipe calling for all the products toe ice cold. And then we will add another problem to the mix - use a different pan than the recipe called for and you will have other issues also, even using a 10 cup bunt pan vs. A 12 cup bunt pan.

I have said this before, and will put it here. There are excellent books to read that can educate you on all the nuances of scratch baking. I find this topic to be of great interest and pour over them again and again like novels. Here are some of the books you can read:

Bakewise and another book Cookwise, both by Shirley Corriher. How Baking Works by Paula Figoni (may have spelling wrong), The Professional Decorator by Toba Garrett, The Professional Baker, a college text book by Garrett (last name), The Cake Bible by Rose Levenbaum. Every recipe and the last chapter all have information on how the recipe works. I may be forgetting a book or two, but these are all good starts. Most of these can be found in your local library.

I don't remember exactly if I said you should never mix for two minutes. Certainly those that can get the hi ratio shortening will have different methods for mixing as well as those that use a hand mixer over a stand mixer. But I can say I have a happier cake and a more satisfied crowd when I don't over mix. If you want to mix for the 2 minutes, then I suggest a slow speed over medium. But I still stand by my statement that it is better to NOT mix for 2 minutes than to mix. I have done months and months of experimenting to come to this conclusion. I have done my share of dumping a lot of product before I followed my intuition and after months of research and found what worked with my equipment. For me and my KA, I do not beat for 2 minutes. Ever since I changed that method I have not had to toss any more products.

So I will still say follow your intuition. And actually the best way I have found to see if it works is to get into the kitchen and do some "science" experiments. Make a batter several different ways with the same ingredients. Find the one that works for you, and works more than once, and then use that method. Recipes are guidelines and you are the scientist. Go and explore. It will be fun

LindaF144a Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 4:07pm
post #25 of 36

I also forgot to state that the recipe you are using still has lots of room for questions.

The butter - is it room temp or very cold? She states this for some of the ingredients but not all. Did she use very cold butter, semi cold, room temp, very soft?

Cream butter and sugar - for how Long. The difference in this stage of the process between 2, 3, or even 6 to 8 will make a world of difference in how a cake comes out.

Alternate flour and liquid - again for how long did she it let it mix in between. Did she do it til each ingredient was fully incorporated, or did she just dump one after another. If using a hand mixer this make a world of difference. You have to stop, put down the mixer, pick up your product, put it in. All that time wasted can make the batter settle differently and then it may need the extra time to mix for a smooth batter.

What kind of flour, what brand of flour? What kind of baking powder?

This is my point that you must objectively approach every recipe as a guideline instead of following the directions to the letter. There are so many variables not ever written. It is no wonder we get so many varying results and opinions on scratch baking.

snowshoe1 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:09pm
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

I'm sorry, but most home hobby bakers this is correct to a degree. There are two reasons. First the "hi-ratio" method is for recipes that have more sugar then flour ratio. This works for batters that use hi ratio shortening, something not readily available to the average home baker. Or before Crisco went mostly, but not all, trans fat free. Now we have the blogosphere where people take recipes, substitute butter for the shortening without reformulating the flour/sugar ratio.

Just to clarify, the high-ratio cakes are ones which the weight of the sugar equals or exceeds the weight of the flour and hi-ratio shortening is not a requirement for using this mixing method (butter and other fats can be used). Standard process is to mix all the dry ingredients with your fats (e.g. butter / shortening - and shortening does not need to be high-ratio), the process of incorporating the fats usually will take about two minutes using a stand kitchen-aide (I mix on low speed - e.g. 2 - 3 and your mixture will look a bit like cornmeal - this process will not create excess gluten strands) then add liquids, including the eggs, combining these in three parts.

LindaF144a Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:58pm
post #27 of 36

The method you state as hi ratio I often if not always see it referred to as the two-stage method. This is true in all the books I stated in my last post. In using a two-stage method the fat and flour are together, with a touch of the liquid to coat the flour and prevent gluten formation. That is why you can get away with mixing it for two minutes at the Beginning stage of that method. Let's not confuse the OP who is referring us to a recipe for the creaming method. The best book for the two stage method is The Cake Bible. In the creaming method it is best NOT to mix for a log period of time once you add the liquid. Adding the liquid is what starts the gluten formation. Once you are at that stage, the less mixing the better.

And you can get away with your sugar being a high ratio than your flour. But not by much of you don't want a slightly collapsed looking cake or cuccapke.I have learned personally by testing a lot of recipes that too much sugar will make a cake collapse. And the best example is in the book How Baking Works where she shows her experiments with varying amounts of sugar to flour ratio baking experiments and what the results look like. Too much sugar to flour and you have a collapsed cake, no matter what the method of preparing the batter. And yes, you do need hi-ratio shortening to absorb the extra liquid that is necessary in a cake like this. Your liquid in a hi ratio cake must be equal to or higher than the sugar. If it is not, the sugar cannot fully dissolve. And hi ratio shortening is the only fat that wil be able to absorb the extra liquid. It is formulated to work that way as stated again in every book I cited above. That is one of the advantages of using a hi ratio shortening.

And so again I stand by my statement of over mixing. Too much is not a good thing. I will also say that recipes that do have the flour to sugar ratio skewed set up the average home baker up for disappointment. It's not that they won't get an edible product, they will not get a pretty product like the OP is talking about. Again I will refer you to the chapter in Shirley Corriher's book. Her bundt cake tasted delicious, but was sunken. Her solution, once you turn it put of the pan, the sunken part is on the plate and no one will see it anyway!

I have readjusted recipes to have the flour equal the sugar in weight and do not miss the extra sugar at all. It does not change the taste, sweetness, crumb, texture. It does give me a cake or cupcake that rises better, even with my way of mixing my batter.

snowshoe1 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:30pm
post #28 of 36

Linda - you should also check the book Professional Baking by Wayne Glissen which is issued in many Pastry Arts professional programs - as it was in mine. Hi-ratio shortening is not required for high-ratio cakes. I have many high-ratio cake recipes that turn out wonderful using butter as the fat - I would be happy to share.

The high-ratio mixing method is also referred to as the two-step mixing method (see Glissen's book). It is generally accepted the high-ratio (or two-step) mixing method was developed by Procter and Gamble in the 1940's to prevent the batter from separating when the high proportion of sugar can make the batter separate.

I don't think I've ever encouraged anyone to overmix.

Betheigh Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 7:04pm
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

Quote:

Personally, I feel this could be part of the issue. Most recipes in home cook books are written for little hand mixers. There is a difference between the small beaters of a hand mixer, vs the Paddle attachment of a KA mixer.
The mixing times and speeds would be different. Your KA mixer came with a book, and I believe there maybe recipes in it for cake. I would look up those recipes and try it, and then compare it to the other recipes you want to use. If the recipe in the KA book are similar, then you should be able to adjust your mixing time and speeds accordingly.

That paddle could be responsible for over beating. You can get funky results from beating eggs too long. (unless for meringue) You can also beat the dickens out of the gluten in the flour, thus creating tough baked goods.

I think you are on the right track, trying to trouble shoot your recipes and asking for help.
All I can suggest is that you keep trouble shooting until you find a product you like.

I hope this helps.
tokazodo

Thanks for your response! I looked at the book, trying to pay close attention between what the numbers supposedly correspond to - you know, like cream, mix, etc. But, I didn't think about looking at the recipes and seeing what they suggest...duh - what a good idea!

Betheigh Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 7:10pm
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

Betheigh- If you have the FJ county fair winner's recipe book, the Champion Sponge Cake with pineapple frosting is brilliant. The pineapple frosting deteriorates within a day-so don't use that frosting if the cake is not going to be eaten in one day. The only trick with that one is not to over bake. I won a blue ribbon with that one at a local fair. In fact most of the blue ribbons I have won have been with Farm Journal recipes. I gave a friend a copy of the their cranberry -blueberry pie recipe, and she promptly took a first place with it.

I JUST got that one yesterday at a used bookstore. I love those FJ books so much and have had good luck finding them at a local used bookstore on occasion for $3-$5. I have had to order a couple that I desperately wanted, but even those, including shipping charges, weren't high priced.

I'll check out that recipe!! I've never made a sponge cake, but I'd love to try! I did see a couple of pie recipes in there that I'm dying to try - specifically a chocolate one, because I've been in a chocolate mood lately.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%