How To Make A Loopy Bow?

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 3:01pm by sweetjane

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 3

I want to make a nice loopy bow for the top of a cake. iv seen some beautiful ones. iv searched youtube but i cant find anything that shows how to put it together! any help would be great! tia

2 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 3
sweetjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjane Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 3

There's a loopy bow on my Engagement Ring box that was very easy to make. The measurements below are for a 4" bow.
Roll out your fondant or gumpaste and texturize it if you want, cut the strips approx 1" widths. Then cut the strips into 6" lengths with a diagonal cut and stand the strip on it's side. Bring the two diagonal cut ends together forming a loop and put a dab of water to adhere them. Leave the loops on their sides to dry, and then paint or dust them. For my bow, I needed approx 20 loops.
Begin placing the individual loops onto your cake, placing the first layer with one side of the bow against the cake, leaving space between each loop and bringing the points together in the center. Apply a little glue to adhere them. Fill in the next layer with loops between the open spaces being sure to get the points as close to the center as possible. The next layer,alternate the loops sideways and flat, beginning to fill the open areas and create a dome-shape, again taking the points down to the center.
Good luck, HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%