Help! Need To Deliver...(Doweling)

Decorating By CocoaBlondie Updated 14 Nov 2010 , 3:52am by CocoaBlondie

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 16

Help, I'm in urgent need of some doweling expertise. I was up last night till 3:00am working on a purse cake. I also made a 12x12x3 inch cake to attach the purse cake to. My problem is that I need some way to attach the puse cake to this cake. I guess in the midst of my all nighter I didn't think about what I was doing. I would normaly push dowels through the top, but I don't want to ruin my fondant on top of the cake. One more thing the purse cake is large 9x5x7.

15 replies
CocoaBlondie Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 16

Is there a way to dowel through the bottom????

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 16

If you still dowel through the top, is there something you could put over it as another decoration? A butterfly, or a piece of jewelry? something like that?

CocoaBlondie Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 16

I thought about that. But the top of the purse looks so smooth & simple. Also the customer gave me a photo to stick to. I'm going to attempt to dowel through the bottom.I've never done this before so I'm really nervous. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tink1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tink1016 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 16

Put the dowels into the 12x12 cake and make sure enough of it is sticking over the top... then just slide the purse cake onto the dowels.... the exposed part that is highter than the 12x12 should hold the purse cake in place.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 16

When I dowel a purse cake I sink dowel through the board in the middle of the cake into the base board clear through into foam.

Just some little sticks poking up through the bottom of the board the purse cake sits on will not keep it from toppling in transit.

Edited to say--I don't mean to sound hyper or anything -- I just dowel differently for my cakes.

cownsj Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 16

I know I'd be too afraid to dowel from the bottom. I'd end up poking the dowel out another part of the cake and just keep making it worse.

There must be something you could do to cover it, maybe a coin? A rose? Is your customer picky enough that they would be upset by an added item to the cake?

Now too, I've never done it, but I know there are posts in here somewhere about fixing cracks, etc. by, I think, thinning fondant and going over the area. You could put in a plug and try this to smooth it over.

cownsj Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1016

Put the dowels into the 12x12 cake and make sure enough of it is sticking over the top... then just slide the purse cake onto the dowels.... the exposed part that is highter than the 12x12 should hold the purse cake in place.

Sounds like a great plan for her. Good idea.

CocoaBlondie Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 16

Thank you so much everyone for the help. I have successfully attached & doweled my purse cake. I did just as ya'll suggested. I made a templated them pokes holes through my base on the purse cake. Then I put the dowels into the 12x12 & slid the purse on top. FEWWW! Glad thats done. No matter how many times I stack a cake it always makes me nervous. Well, I'd better go deliver now. I'll post my pics when I get home.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 16

I hope you can keep a hand ready to hold onto it in case the g-force of driving takes over.

Dowel hold things up.

Dowel in cake does not prevent it from toppling over.

Good Luck!! Be careful!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 16

Wait--I hope you doweled from the bottom cake to the purse cake not just through the purse cake.

Oh my Oh my

CocoaBlondie Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:13am
post #12 of 16

Well, everything got there safely. K8memphis, I did have everything doweled through correctly. I posted my photo just a few minutes ago if anyone would like to take a look. icon_biggrin.gif

cownsj Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:20am
post #13 of 16

What do you mean, "if anyone would like to take a look"? Of course we want to look........ lol And I did. WOW, what a fantastic job you did on that cake. They must have gone crazy over it. Absolutely gorgeous job.

CocoaBlondie Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:21am
post #14 of 16

Thank you so much for the kind words. They were very happy with it. It was a surprise party. So I only got to see the people who order it for her. I would have loved to see the B-day girls face.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:44am
post #15 of 16

cowboy.gif That's a real purty purse cake you've got there, pard! ( can you tell I'm feeling cowgirl-ish?) You've got some real nice otherns there too! icon_wink.gif

I'm glad your cake turned out for you. You did some nice work on it. I see you have some other real nice cakes in your portfolio.
I get nervous stacking from time to time too.
I like Edna De La Cruz's Stacking video on youtube. It really helped to calm my nerves. I like all of her videos as a matter of fact.

Take Care, Ta,ta!

tokazodo who is suffering from TMC: Too Much Caking in the past 24 hours!

CocoaBlondie Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:52am
post #16 of 16

icon_lol.gif Your to funny. Thanks. I'm going to have to check out these Edna video's. I think I may have seen one before on BC icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%