Calling All Airbrush Experts, Need Help Bad!!

Decorating By bakingatthebeach Updated 11 Oct 2011 , 5:39pm by Bebosgirl

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 4:15am
post #1 of 21

So because I dont think my kitchen is messy enough when I do cakes, I got an airbrush! Went cheap and got a Master G22 G23 and if I get the hang of it will go better.
Problem #1 putting it together, its assembled but there is one piece that is
separate and I cant figure how to get the hose on the airbrush
and the compressor. I hooked it up somehow, do get air
coming out of nozzle (I get so excited) then, icon_mad.gif
Problem #2 I put water in the cup, push down on the leverand pull back,
still only getting a steady stream of air but no water comes
out.
If anyone has any tips, websites, etc I would greatly appre-
ciate it !

20 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 4:33am
post #2 of 21

what kind of compressor did you get.. and did you get siphon feed or gavity feed airbrushes, it is late and I have been up since 4 a.m. so please bear with me. we will get you airbrushing in no time.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 4:36am
post #3 of 21

okay.. slightly more awake.. g22 and g23 are gravity feed brushes.. so.. if you are getting some air but no water.. which air brush are you using.. that you arent getting any water out of?

bakingatthebeach Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 10:42am
post #4 of 21

here is a pic of it, one with just the brush the other with the compressor

bakingatthebeach Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 10:45am
post #5 of 21

tried again, cant upload the pic. The airbursh was all put together the kind with the cup on top of it.

bakingatthebeach Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 21

so I got home from work tonight and tried it again, finally the water sprayed out, so I added color, it didnt come out, so I added a touch of water, and it sprayed until it was out, then when I tried to clean it out with warm water, and it wouldnt spray. Do you think I have a bad airbrush??

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:31am
post #7 of 21

you can't add photos to post in the forums right now (bug with CC) can you find a picture by doing a google image search of your airbrush? I did, but just want to make sure i'm looking at the right one.

bakingatthebeach Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 21

I googled imaged Master Kit G23-22 and it popped up. Its the first 4 pics in the first row. See one of them with it hooked up so I did do that right. Right now this is the issue, Its not taking the americolor very easily unless I dilute it a little with water or vodka (which Im gonna chug if this thing doesnt start working lol!) I turn the compressor on, and only air comes out, when I touch the tip to the surface, color comes out, I pull it away it stops, then, every once in a while, if I do that, it starts spraying then will spray til its empty (thats where I get all excited that its starting to work) I fill it up again and, same thing.
I have also noticed that if I hold the lever down, and pull it back and forth, spurts of color come out with the forward motion and stop when I pull it back, which will take forever to cover a surface if I have to do that. Thanks so much for helping me!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 21

Did you adjust the doo hickey in the opening at the end? When I started using mine, I found that by adjusting that it helped the spray come out smoother.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 21

just want to clarify, when you say "americolor" are you talking about their gels or the airbrush colors? The gels are not thin enough to use in an airbrush w/o thinning. It's best to use airbrush colors for airbrushing.

bakingatthebeach Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 21

doo hickey....love it, we talk alike! Which end??? the screw thats on top of the doo hickey connected to the compressor?? if so, yes, when it shot out at me (and its all fun and games until you lose and eye!) I screwed it in just a tad so it wouldnt kill anyone. Too far I noticed it cut the airflow down. If your talking about the other end at the airbrush, I dont know which doo hickey.
Its the americolor airbrush color that came with it. It seems thick enough like it should spray through easily but I dont know if its coincidence that thinning it made it come out, or if it was just one of those times that it wanted to spray.

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:15pm
post #12 of 21

I found out the hard way that Americolors gels and americolors airbrush colors are WAAAY TO similarly packaged!! ~~
I've had the same problems with my airbrush, I can get water to come out, but no color icon_sad.gif

JPMitchell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPMitchell Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:18pm
post #13 of 21

Maybe you have your needle to far into the airbrush? I have that same one and every so often I have to pull the needle back a bit till it sprays. Also when I first got it I had to completely take it apart.... the lever should give some resistance, then you know it should work.

bakingatthebeach Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 4:00pm
post #14 of 21

I get resistence with the lever. I took the front off and watched the needle as I pulled the needle back. When the lever goes all the way back, the needle goes into the airbrush, Should part of it still be sticking out for color to come out or does the needle need to go further back into the airbrush for the color to come out.

mrscunningham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscunningham Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 4:31pm
post #15 of 21

The needle both directs the color and plugs the hole, so when you are pulling the needle back, the more you pull back, the more color should come out.

03FLSTF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
03FLSTF Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 4:53pm
post #16 of 21

I own and use a G22 regularly. For this model, the needle should remain stationary when the trigger is moved; it sounds like something was not assembled correctly when the airbrush was put together.

Your airbrush should have come with an exploded diagram which can assist with identifying the issue. If you unscrew the back housing, known as the standard handle, the needle chucking assembly (consists of needle chucking guide, needle adjust sleeve and needle chucking nut) should move back as you pull back, and forward as you push forward; the needle should not move. Common causes can include an incorrectly inserted trigger or lever guide. Refer to the diagram if their position looks different from the diagram its probably the problem.

bakingatthebeach Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:47pm
post #17 of 21

thank you thank you thank you!!! I loosened the needle chucking nut just slightly and now its working great!!! Beware though, will be hitting y'all up for advice OFTEN!!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:20pm
post #18 of 21

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:22pm
post #19 of 21

Bebosgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bebosgirl Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 5:38pm
post #20 of 21

Hi...well my son gave me this machine for my birthday..and I finally took it out to play with it and give it a try..have it all connected but no air is comin out. icon_sad.gif not sure what to do ..I did try checkin to see if the needle was too tight..but ugh...any help anyone..plz..

Bebosgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bebosgirl Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 5:39pm
post #21 of 21

Hi...well my son gave me this machine for my birthday..and I finally took it out to play with it and give it a try..have it all connected but no air is comin out. icon_sad.gif not sure what to do ..I did try checkin to see if the needle was too tight..but ugh...any help anyone..plz..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%