11.12.10 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 5:02am by steffiessweet_sin_sations

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:48am
post #31 of 46

I'm working on a baby shower cake and some stuffed strawberries for tomorrow.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:49am
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Hmm, Unlimited, you give me hope. My friend says sacrificing a pastry bag might make paint flow like Royal, but I'm used to Royal and would rather not screw up a bunch of cookies with a "might work."

Just to clarifyI'm not saying that bugs won't find your salt dough or cookies, just that my RI hasn't drawn any bugs (and my ornaments are RI onlynot RI on top of dough or anything).

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:50am
post #33 of 46

Just finished a 54 inch crayon cake!!! I'm tired and my feet hurt!!!

mareg Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:52am
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Easy weekend for me. One, 4 tier cake covered in sparkling sugar. Seriously the easiest cake design EVER!!

What is sparkling sugar?

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:56am
post #35 of 46

Hey Ladies... It's a 3 cake weekend for me. I had a baby shower cake picked up this evening. Right now, I'm finishing up a topsy turvey sweet 16 due tomorrow. Have to put my ribbon on the board and embellish a little and it's finally done! After that... I have to do a drag racing cake for a country music singing drag racing granny! The woman that ordered the cake actually brought me a CD. Totally cracked me up. What a fun lady she must be!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:19am
post #36 of 46

I finally just finished a four tier wedding cake and a groom's cake for tomorrow. I'm happy to be done.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:21am
post #37 of 46
Quote:

I'm looking up salt dough recipes for ornaments. So far, they all look pretty much the same.
I'm not sure what to do about frosting. If I use Royal, bugs are bound to find them so they wouldn't keep from year to year. I'm not happy with the thought of using paint either.

I made the salt dough wedding couple in my photos and the dough was really nice to work with, the only thing I recommend when using salt dough that it is best used right away. I did paint mine and varnish them though.
If you are interested you could pm me for the recipe.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:24am
post #38 of 46

I make salt dough ornaments with the kids almost every year. We buy the squeeze out paints... Tulip brand or generic. It's kind of like piping... Works great cause the paints dry raised (puff paint). We use the glitter kind, plain, etc...

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:41am
post #39 of 46

I just finished my Zebra Prink Cookie Monster Cake, adn I need your guy's help. Where should I put the 16???? They are 3 1/2 inches tall and now that the cake is done I don't know where to put them. What do you guys think???

mom2twogrlz Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:42am
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

I just finished my Zebra Prink Cookie Monster Cake, adn I need your guy's help. Where should I put the 16???? They are 3 1/2 inches tall and now that the cake is done I don't know where to put them. What do you guys think???

Dang it the attachment didn't work. I will post in my pics.

mareg Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:48am
post #41 of 46
Quote:

I'd put the 16 on the zebra print off center to the right and a little turned so it looks like it's meant to be not straight. IMO It looks great btw!!

mom2twogrlz Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:52am
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

Quote:

I'd put the 16 on the zebra print off center to the right and a little turned so it looks like it's meant to be not straight. IMO It looks great btw!!

I was thinking the right side, but didn't think of turned, I like that. I was worried about it being too heavy on the right with the flowers below.

Thanks!!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:05am
post #43 of 46

Hi Ladies,

Well, I'm exhausted. I have 5 cakes due in the next 5 days so I've been baking and working on embellishments for the past two days as well as finishing the first of the cakes (3D Pirate Rum Barrel cake for my husbands birthday...will post photos sometime in the next few days) and crumbcoating the 2 tiers of a wedding cake due Sunday. None of the cakes is all that challenging but they all have a lot of embellishments like sugar flowers, fondant coins, figures and such so I think I've been at the kitchen more than I've been home. My husband says at least he'll get to see me when we deliver the cakes! LOL! Poor guy, he hates weeks like this.

I usually have a slow down this time of year but I haven't had an empty week since mid April. I know I need a break but it's hard to say no when I'm really trying to grow this business into a full time occupation. (yes, I hear IndyDebi's voice in my ear...JUST SAY NO)

Hope you all have a great weekend. I'll check in again when I have a few moments to breathe!

Cat

missydavis1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missydavis1976 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:55pm
post #44 of 46
Quote:

Missdavis1976: have you tried Elisa Strauss' chocolate cake recipe? It's the only one I've found so far that gives me consistent results.

I detoured to post some replies for school assigments. Post replies, blow smoke up their skirts, whatever. icon_smile.gif

Is there a paint that flows like Royal when flooding? I think fabric paint would, but that would get expensive for 240 ornaments.

I have not, but I will look it up and give it a go! I had another tiny bite of my cake this morning and I still think it's delish lol ... burnt coffee my eye! icon_wink.gif Still, we have to please the customer, right?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:42am
post #45 of 46

Thanks to everyone for the info and ideas! I'm going to try to start on them tomorrow since today was taken up with the not fun stuff in life like laundry and paying bills. icon_smile.gif

Hope all the deliveries went well today!

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:02am
post #46 of 46

hi all! i know i am late but it was super super busy this wk!!! so this is what i did this wkend. fri made a cake for my friends hubby, the happy birthday you old dog dog cake in my photos. delivered it to her fri, then baked the puppy dog cake for my cousins birthday party, i made a dog cake, 2 dozen cupcakes, and 20 bone cookies as favors. i also made all the cupcake toppers and wrappers, as well as the tags for the favors. see pic of hannahs party in my pics. then got a call sat night about 10 for a dozen mud cupcakes with vanilla frosting and black fondant flowers for sun at 1, see pic in photos. delivered that today, to a guy in town, (friend of a friend) who is an author, he writes vampire novels and just came out with a new one, and gave me a copy!!!! how cool is that! and then he called to say he LOVED them, and will call me for thanksgiving cuppies!!!! whew. now i can relax for a day.....LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%