Make Your Own Molds

Decorating By ClaudetteLaFleur Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 7:42pm by MYOM-Dominic

ClaudetteLaFleur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClaudetteLaFleur Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 2

I have an old Wilton house mold,(1902-2246 a & b), it's dry and cracking and I realy need 6 new ones. It came as a kit in the 1980"s and appears to not be available anymore. A Wonderfuly lady from Blakes Cakes found one for me on E-bay but I still need 5 more. Can I use an old mold to mold new ones myself? I contacted a mold company and they offered to make me up one for $300.00, OUCH!! Thanks for any help Claudette

1 reply
MYOM-Dominic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Dominic Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 2

Hi Claudette,

It is pretty easy to make a new mold from an old one. The first step is to make one last impression out of the old mold. You can use fondant, gumpaste, plaster or wax. The impression that comes out of a mold is called a positive. The mold itself is called a negative. Any who - if you made the positive out of gumpaste, plaster or fondant, you must let it dry completely. Then you must seal it with Seal-Dit. If you used wax to make the positive, you do not have to seal it.

Now that you have the positive prepped and ready, you can then use any of my products to make a new mold over the positive. You can use this method to duplicate any mold that you cannot buy anymore and you will be able to do this for way less than the price quoted to you by a mold maker.

Hope This Helps,
Dominic icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%