Introducing Myself-Hello Everyone!

Decorating By dst10spr97 Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 9:26am by dst10spr97

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:29am
post #1 of 6

I'm new to the forums and thought I'd introduce myself. I came accross Cake Central last year actually when I was looking for ideas for my wedding cake. During that time I became fascinated with cake decorating. Especially since I had watched a lot of cake shows on tv. I had thought about taking some classes and taking up cake decorating and also improve on baking cakes from scratch. On top of that I just adore cake! That idea got put on hold because I ended up getting pregnant with my first child. And unfortunately suffered months of morning sickness and my unborn child unfortunately hated cake. I now have a beautiful 3 month old baby girl and I want to really learn the art of cake decorating and be able to make amazing cakes for family and friends, and of course my daughters first birthday cake. My wonderful hubby signed me up for the Wilton courses and I attended my first class Wednesday night. I had a ball, learned a lot so far and the instructor was great. So here I am. I have a few questions. Can you get really good being self taught or do most of the awesome cake decorators attend culinary programs? Any books, videos, or other tips you recommend in addition to the Wilton classes that will help me improve my craft?

Also, and this is a forum related question, how do I put the avatar picture in my profile. It doesn't give me the option to select a picture. Also if I see a post that I really like, how do I subscribe so I can remember the thread and get notified of any new responses? I don't see that option either, unless I am overlooking it, in which case, blame it on my pregnancy brain when I'm still suffering from 3 months later.
icon_lol.gif Thanks in advance. I see I am going to love it here. I see a lot of great information already.

5 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:58am
post #2 of 6

HO there and welcome to cc.............there is something wrong with the feature that lets you load a pic or avatar, as you can see my pic is gone too.
I am self taught. I got some of sugarshacks dvd's and I have watched many cake decorating videos on you tube. Add to that I have been baking many many moons as I am a Nanna. There are many people who will answer all of your questions. If I can help feel free to pm me any time. Look at my pics pages to see what you can do just from you tube and dvd's and of course I watch all the cake shows. Again welcome and congrats on your new baby girl!!!!

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:59am
post #3 of 6

Hello-welcome. To get notifications go to the bottom of the page where it says 'watch this topic' and click. You will get notices. I personally believe the classes are a good way to improve-but there are a lot of tutorials out there that will help a great deal. Get yourself some of Sugarshack's dvd's they are great. Also ednas tutorials on CC are really good. She is from Orlando area.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:11am
post #4 of 6

Welcome! Another Lurker is finally outed!

You might not be able to put the avatar into your profile. There have been some software issues that prevent it.

I can't put one in mine, either. I wish it would be fixed already. This has been going on since August for me.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:47am
post #5 of 6

Welcome!!! I love cc! I have been doing cakes for 1.5 yrs, and am CC taught!! I have never taken a class, or watched anyone's DVD's, but have used common sense and asked questions in the forums. It's been a great artistic outlet for me! I am not professional, though! icon_smile.gif

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 9:26am
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for the warm welcome. How did I miss that "watch this topic" link. I told you I have post partum brain. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%