Rkt - Chocolate

Baking By Renoir Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 3:24am by BlakesCakes

Renoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renoir Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:43am
post #1 of 5

So, I used some white chocolate candy melts I had making RKT and it seems to have worked great. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I cut it. I made one batch using Nestles Milk Chocolate chips and when it melted in the double boiler it basically turned into ganache, not the smooth and creamy consistency I expected. Anyone know why?

4 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 5

I am not a pro chef or scientist, but I think that the Nestle chips are for baking (like cookies) so they don't have that element in them like the candy melts (I think they are two totally different things) that makes them turn hard afterwards. I think they are supposed to stay soft n mushy.

that would be my guess....... icon_confused.gif

Renoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renoir Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 5

Hmmmm... So, when people here say they melted chocolate to do/make something, they are usually referring to candy melts? Or is there other chocolate that is being used?

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 5

I guess it would depend on what they are using it for. If your using it as a binding agent, I would go the candy/chocolate melt route.
jmho
icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:24am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renoir

I made one batch using Nestles Milk Chocolate chips and when it melted in the double boiler it basically turned into ganache, not the smooth and creamy consistency I expected. Anyone know why?

They may have seized up, to some degree, having gotten a few droplets of water in them from the steam.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%