Shall I Turn Off The Oven And Quit? Never Mind. I Quit.

Lounge By KayMc Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 5:37pm by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:05am
post #1 of 15

I'm pretty stressed out over the need to place my father in a nursing home tomorrow. After work today I mixed up the Epicurious chocolate cake recipe, and didn't pay attention to the size pan requested. I put the batter in 8" pans instead of 10" pans. The cake still has 38 minutes to bake, and the batter is dripping all over the pans onto the oven floor. Is there any chance this will bake correctly enough that I can torte it level with the top of the cake pan, or shall I turn off the oven now and quit this time? It burns my butt to waste these ingredients.
**update***
Had to turn off the oven and throw open the windows. House got smokey. Sigh...

14 replies
tone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tone Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:40am
post #2 of 15

Hugs. I've had my ovens turned off for quite awhile dealing with family issues. Its rough

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:56am
post #3 of 15

Tomorrow is another day......

KayMc Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:57am
post #4 of 15

Thanks, tone. I'm too tired tonight to rebake, but I need to bake this cake tomorrow. Not only are we placing my father in a nursing home tomorrow, but my 90 yr old mother is moving in with my husband and me on Sunday. Tons of work ahead to make all this happen, but I need this cake for Sunday as a thank you to the man who is helping my parents move. I surely didn't feel like having a cake disaster tonight, but in the scheme of things, it's minor. Makes me angry to waste all these ingredients.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:59am
post #5 of 15

I put my little Mom in a nursing home in early November several years ago--it's beyond gut wrenching. Praying for you.

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 1:01am
post #6 of 15

aww so sorry... I've had that happened to me too I didn't turn my oven off though the cake baked ok but the oven smelled like coals for days

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 1:06am
post #7 of 15

Big hugs to you. I feel that this same decision is going to have to be made for my mom in the near future and it is very hard.
If you need to turn the oven off for a little while that's fine. Family comes first. But, if it's therapy to you how about just some small orders here and there.
I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 1:08am
post #8 of 15

Hang in there KayMc...I've been there and done that. We had to make a decision of placing my father in a nursing home or moving him in with us. My mom was his world and when she passed I wouldn't have given him six months he was so bad. My husband and I decided that as long as we had breath in our body, he would not be going to a nursing home. It put a strain on our household, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. My father lived for 6 years before he passed, and I am so glad he stayed with us. I really got to know my dad, and when he did pass, I wasn't one of his children who had anything to feel guilty about. I miss him terribly, but I know in my heart that we made the right decision. Thank goodness he didn't require nursing care, or we may not have had the pleasure of having him stay with us.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 10:17am
post #9 of 15

My heart goes out to you, KayMc. I know how you feel. While I didn't have to put my mom (passed) or Dad into a nursing home, I had to place my older sister into one. It was heartwrenching but, it was the best thing to do to assure that she received the care she needed 24hrs a day. I'm so glad that I did and because of that decision and God's Blessings, she is still here with us today. I pray that you get through this day and everyday hereafter knowing and finding comfort in knowing that you did what was necessary for your parents. God Bless.

P.S. I agree, don't turn off your oven unless you need a rest because baking a cake can/is very theraputic.

campayven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campayven Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 10:47am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

I'm pretty stressed out over the need to place my father in a nursing home tomorrow. After work today I mixed up the Epicurious chocolate cake recipe, and didn't pay attention to the size pan requested. I put the batter in 8" pans instead of 10" pans. The cake still has 38 minutes to bake, and the batter is dripping all over the pans onto the oven floor. Is there any chance this will bake correctly enough that I can torte it level with the top of the cake pan, or shall I turn off the oven now and quit this time? It burns my butt to waste these ingredients.
**update***
Had to turn off the oven and throw open the windows. House got smokey. Sigh...

The next time your stuff in your oven overflows like that- throw and old cookie sheet or something in the bottom and let that catch all the drippings- it will burn in the pan but will not fill your house with smoke or make the food you are cooking taste like burnt smoke.

KayMc Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:19pm
post #11 of 15

I did throw the cookie sheet in, but the stuff that was already in the bottom of the oven is apparently what burned to a crisp and filled the house with smoke. I need to clean my oven now - thank God it only takes pushing a button!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:45pm
post #12 of 15

Is the cake a gift or for an actual order? Can you pick something less stressful and easier to make as a thank you?

Hugs!

KayMc Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 1:11am
post #13 of 15

The cake was a 'thank you' to the man helping move my parents. I ended up NOT decorating it at all, but merely frosting wtih my to-die-for peanut butter frosting. The cake wasn't very pretty, but it was extremely deliscious. Thanks to everyone.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:29pm
post #14 of 15

Don't quit. Take a break. Focus on your life and when you get the urge, start baking again. You are facing some tough things but at some point, may decide that you want to do something for you and it may be baking. Just take a break. It's hard to focus on baking when so many other things are going on in our lives.

KayMc Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 15

Isn't that the truth. My poor husband left for a business trip Monday morning with no clean clothes. Sigh.... icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%