Margarine In Imbc?

Baking By Chefperl Updated 12 Feb 2012 , 10:12pm by BlakesCakes

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 14

does anyone know if you can use margarine instead of butter in Italian Meringue Buttercream?

13 replies
elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 14

DO NOT USE MARGARINE IN IMBC OR SMBC!!!!!!!! PERIOD!

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:02am
post #3 of 14

Don't use margarine in icing...period!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:10am
post #4 of 14

I cannot imagine the flavor being acceptable for this use. This recipe is all about butter. Margarine is a pretty poor substitute for flavor, and it's much worse for your heart than is butter.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 6:04am
post #5 of 14

As said before, No Margarine.

Margarine is much softer than butter and is loaded with water.

Rae

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 14

thanks everyone. didn't want to waste ingredients and time. I don't use any dairy in any of my baking so i was curious. I always see IMBC and it looks so good, thought i would try it.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 9:33am
post #7 of 14

You can use a dairy-free margarine like Nuttlex or Earth Balance in IMBC ..

alicescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicescupcakes Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 14

From what I've found some margarine certainly doesnt work (most likely due to water content) although there may be ones that do, and I'm sure I've heard of people using animal fat before, as it gives a perfectly white icing, although I think it sounds a bit gross!

To anyone who has already tried to make IMBC with margarine & been unable to get much air into it, you needn't throw it away. If you add a little self raising flour it puffs up into rather gluttinous pancakes!

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 14

I guess it depends on the margarine.
I'm from outside the US, and here somatimes I use a small percentage on my SMBC and it always turns out beautifully. But again, butter is better

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 14

I use Stork baking margarine mixed with puff pastry fat. Comes out perfect. I am in Zimbabwe. Butter price is high. People are not willing to pay the price. I will try it with butter for family cake. My friend told me that her kids who do not eat buttercream from supermarket cakes love my IMBC.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosech

I use Stork baking margarine mixed with puff pastry fat. Comes out perfect. I am in Zimbabwe. Butter price is high. People are not willing to pay the price. I will try it with butter for family cake. My friend told me that her kids who do not eat buttercream from supermarket cakes love my IMBC.

Wow! Greetings! I think you are the first person I've seen from that part of the world.

I have no idea what baking margarine or puff pastry fat is. Is it shortening?

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:16pm
post #12 of 14

I don't use margarine for anything. It has a terrible list of ingredients and it takes weeks for your body to expel. If you are consuming it on a daily basis, you body never completely expels it. Butter is much better for you if you are going to use anything of this type. Lard is better then oils and shortenings as far as your body being able to break it down and expel it. Bowl butters...even ones like "I can't believe it's not butter" are not good for you.

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 14

Scratchsf I have not come across shortening here. Not sure if its the same as pastry fat. Its just labeled puff pastry fat and normaly used for pie dough. It stabilises the margarine. The marge brand that I use sells two types, spreading and baking margarine. Made in South Africa.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 10:12pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

..... Bowl butters...even ones like "I can't believe it's not butter" are not good for you.

Well, I don't buy into the infomercial script about things taking weeks to transit my body............We're pretty much built to either absorb or expel things within 24-48 hrs........... but as far as butter & margarine info, the Cleveland Clinic has a nice write up about it:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/askdietician/margarine.aspx

and their conclusion seems to be that the softer the margarine---like the "bowl butter"--the better for you because they're generally lower in trans-fats.

All in all, it's best to eat everything in moderation, no matter what it is.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%