Different Fondant Brands And Flavors

Decorating By DAGemmer Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 2:39pm by pag41989

DAGemmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DAGemmer Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 5

I'm new to the world of cake decorating and at this point have only worked with Wilton's white fondant. It's easy to use but not so tasty. I've looked on line for other products and found Fondarific fondant as well as Satin Ice sold at Sur la Table. Has anyone used either of these products? I'd love to know how they are to work with and how they taste. I also am curious about the flavored fondants. I'm doing a Santa cake and need to do a red hat and am not too thrilled about needing white fondant and no-taste red forever to get the right color! I noticed that fondarific has cherry flavored red fondant. It seems like it would be a little odd, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I just don't want to spend the money on it if people tell me it's not a great product. Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it.

Emily

4 replies
Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 5

Hi Emily,
You're right to STAY AWAY FROM THE WILTON FONDANT. There are plenty of other great tasting fondants out there. Yes they're more expensive but you get what you pay for. Duff Goldman has a fondant that is very good and locally available at any Michaels, Joanns and Party city stores. Follow the instructions on the side for ease of use. On line, my favorite is Satin Ice. It's reasonably priced and has a very nice neutral flavor. It's also available in butter cream flavor and in colors. So if you get the red in butter cream flavor, your all good. I kinda feel that I'd rather have a great neutral flavor, that way I don't have to match my cake flavor and if I have any fondant left, stored properly, should last a year. I say all that to say, as long as it's not Wilton fondant, you're good.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlachef

Hi Emily,
You're right to STAY AWAY FROM THE WILTON FONDANT. There are plenty of other great tasting fondants out there. Yes they're more expensive but you get what you pay for. Duff Goldman has a fondant that is very good and locally available at any Michaels, Joanns and Party city stores. Follow the instructions on the side for ease of use. On line, my favorite is . It's reasonably priced and has a very nice neutral flavor. It's also available in butter cream flavor and in colors. So if you get the red in butter cream flavor, your all good. I kinda feel that I'd rather have a great neutral flavor, that way I don't have to match my cake flavor and if I have any fondant left, stored properly, should last a year. I say all that to say, as long as it's not Wilton fondant, you're good.

thumbsdown.gif On Wilton!
thumbs_up.gif On Duff's

DAGemmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DAGemmer Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much for the advice. I think I'm going to go with the Satin Ice. But I will also try Duff's later.

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 5

I have used Duff's and it is DELICIOUS. I had to force myself to not eat it. I used Wilton for a cake decorating contest I did only because I knew that no one was going to be eating it. Wilton is great to work with but it tastes and smells horrible. I have not tried satin ice yet but I plan on using it for a competition in march because I want an ivory colored fondant and I'm not brave enough to tint it myself icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%