Duff's Fondant

Decorating By kimma1299 Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 5:03pm by what_a_cake

kimma1299 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimma1299 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 14

I usually make my own fondant, but as I was walking throuh the store the other day, I noticed the tubs of DUff's fondant. I know what I can make my fondant for (and I like how it tastes and it is easy to work with), and Duff's fondant was 20 for a 2 lb. tub. THat seems expensive to me. Is it worth it? THe colors look amazing and very bright, but is it really that much better? Please let me know your opinion if you have worked with this fondant. THX.

13 replies
Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 14

I use it and love it. I buy it at Michael's with a coupon, but it is still expensive. With that said...I love using the black, choc brown, and red. They taste amazing, and it's so so so easy to work with. However...it does not dry out well at all (as in using for bows, etc), so I have to add gumpaste any time I am making bows and figures with it.
I make my own homemade (MFF) and love it, as well. But...Duff's is great for the colors!
So yes, if you don't mind the price, it is nice fondant. thumbs_up.gif

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 14

Same here.....I buy it at Michaels with the coupons. I stock up when I get a "20% off entire purchase" coupon....Especially the black, red and pink. I found a tub of orange just before halloween too! Oh....and the chocolate brown tastes soooooo good! My favorite candy is a Tootsie Roll and this tastes just like one!! thumbs_up.gif

It is very easy to work with but just as Getus said....it does not dry well so bows, figures, etc do not keep their shape unless you mix with gumpaste. One thing I do like about it is you can roll it out very thin and since it doesn't dry out it is much easier to work with.

I've changed quite a few of the "I hate fondant" people into fondant lovers with it!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks for your posts on Duffs fondant. I make MFF too an love it. However I do not attempt to make red or black so knowing Duffs is good will help me when my cake supply is out of those colors.

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 14

michaels take all competitive coupons...i use acmoores 40% coupons at micheals all the time.
www.acmoore.com

mareg Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 14

My Michaels takes only one per day! I take my daughters with me!

kimma1299 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimma1299 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks all. I am goin to have to try it out now. icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:59pm
post #8 of 14

Duff's fondant is actually Fondarific. It is awesome fondant, very tasty and easy to work with. It is all I use on my cakes. Christy is correct in that it doesn't dry out like Satin or Fondx. I will usually keep that on hand to make fondant accents that I want to dry hard. When someone says they don't like the taste of fondant, I give them a taste of Fondarific and they have ALWAYS like the taste. You can roll it much thinner and it doesn't get dry out or tear like other does. I LOVE it!

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 14

Go here and sign up for the coupons. They send them out every week and you can print as many as you want.

http://dealspl.us/michaels-coupons

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 14

I used it once and loved it! Great taste and easy to work with, but I find it too expensive, so I no longer use it.

Saluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saluna Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 14

I've used it a few times for colors I dont want to go through the trouble of mixing. Just purchased a tub of red with my 50% Michaels coupon. I added tylose to it for bows and it dried nicely.

Saw the black friday ad for Michaels...there are like 3 50% off coupons!! thumbs_up.gif

mareg Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 14

Cool!

FloraFlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloraFlora Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:39pm
post #13 of 14

I wait till Michaels' have 50%-off-single-item coupon, I subscribed to their email.
SO I print it out multiple times, and drag my hubby there every day of the week when 50% coupon is on icon_biggrin.gif

yeah.. I think I'm starting to run out of things to buy.

p.s. I didn't buy Duff's fondant, I still think that's pretty pricy.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:03pm
post #14 of 14

Yes it's pricey... Fondarrific as wel; but renders lot more as you can get it really really thin without tearing or cracking. Colors are fantastic, flavor is so good an people actually eat it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%