Unsalted Butter.

Decorating By CraveBakery Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 12:50am by infinitsky

CraveBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraveBakery Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 12

I've had my unsalted butter out on the counter for 4 days, i just haven't gotten around to making my bc. Can i still use it?

11 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 12

I wouldn't. After its made BC can sit out for a long time, but the sugar helps to stabilize it. Bacteria starts to multiply after 4 hrs out of refrigeration and the cake once its made will likely sit out even longer- I wouldn't take the chance.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 12

Sorry but I agree with Amy, I wouldn't use it either.

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 12

As long as the butter has been covered, its fine. I wouldn't use after a week. We grew up having a "butter bell" and I still use today. I don't think I would let go longer than 7 days though.

On the other hand. If the butter is "too soft," it may not be suitable for buttercream. May just need to pop it back in the fridge to firm up a little.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 12

Because I didn't really know what a butter bell was I googled it. Thought I'd share icon_smile.gif

http://www.ltremain.com/page_display.php/butterbell?url=butterbell

edited to say that's really cool.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 12

From what I heard the butter stays fresh in butter bell for 7 days because the water prevents air contact.
Butter sitting on the shelf for four days will not give you a good BC, even if it is not gone bad. The reason is butter grabs/absorbs(?) smells, and after four days just imagine how it tastes.....
HTH

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 12

Amy...

I'm not trying to debate anyone but your question is can you use? The answer is yes and without a doubt. I'm living testimony that it is safe. Here is a thread I found on google (an old CC post) followed from the "official butter bell" site.

DelightsByE, Location: Williamsport Maryland PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:04 pm Post subject:
I just spent about half an hour researching this at the FDA site and the foodsafety.gov site. So here's what I've found out:

At room temperature of 78 degrees fahrenheit or less, butter (salted or unsalted) is considered safe unrefrigerated for at least 7 days IF (and only if) the surface of the butter is not exposed to the open air. Whether this be still wrapped in its waxed paper wrappers, or in a european-style butter crock (the upside-down cup thingy where the butter's surface is actually submerged under water).

FROM BUTTER BELL: # Guaranteed to keep your butter fresh and spreadable for weeks without refrigeration!

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 12

No debate. I made the assumption she is selling the cake. Just basing my assement on the state of Illinois food safety and sanitation requirements if you are selling consumable goods the rule of fours- Pershable foods should not spend more than 4hrs avoce 40 degrees or below 140 degrees. Before I moved to NC I was director of bakeries for a large company and we would have fired a bakery manager if they had taken that kind of risk with perishable products. When you are selling food you always have to consider your clients health & safety (not to mention now a days people will claim they have salemonela if they have a little gas!). When my mom was a kid they kept eggs on the counter... now we just don't do it anymore... not saying that what someone grew up with is neccesarily bad... we just need to be more careful now a days, especially if you are selling your goods. When it comes to food safety I subcribe to the better safe than sorry camp. Just saying I wouldn't use it.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 12

Agree with Amy. It's different when you're selling food to the public. I personally will leave a stick of butter in a covered butter dish for several days if I'm working on eating a loaf of Italian bread that week. But I wouldn't use that for a customer order. In addition, butter, out that long, will be too warm and soft to use, either for buttercream or for creaming in a cake or cookie batter. Butter should be at 65° to 67 ° for creaming. Butter that's been out a few days is likely to be around 68° to 72°, depending on how warm you keep your house.

CraveBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraveBakery Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 12

my house stays between 75 and 71 degrees. My mom always and still does leave her butter out. If it were for me i'd have no problem, but becuase it's for someone else I might just use new ones. What do you guys think?

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:17pm
post #11 of 12

Always, always use 'new' for someone else. icon_smile.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:50am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatsSuiteCakes

Always, always use 'new' for someone else. icon_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%