Have I Ruined My Cake?

Decorating By Sweet_Toof Updated 14 Nov 2010 , 10:58pm by Sweet_Toof

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 10:28am
post #1 of 6

I just baked a chocolate mud cake and whilst still warm, wrapped it in plastic and placed it into the freezer.
But as I was wrapping it, I noticed the shape of the cake starting to distort because the plastic wrap was shrinking with the heat.
I un-wrapped it and tried to wrap it a little more loosly, not knowing what to do next, I placed the wrapped cake into the pan I had baked it in, and then put it into the freezer.
I still have time to bake another one, but does anyone think I've ruined this one?
I think the last couple of times I froze cakes, I had the baking paper still stuck on them (which was when I had it in the pan to bake) and then I wrapped and froze.

5 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 10:59am
post #2 of 6

Your chocolate mud cakes need a bit longer to cool - if you take them out of your pan while they are warm they can collapse into themselves, and spread/break.

As it is, if you have your cake wrapped in plastic and sitting in the baking pan you used, it should be fine to use. It depends on how distorted it is.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 6

I don't have any experience with mud cakes, but I wouldn't recomment putting a warm cake into a freezer. If nothing else, it's hard on your freezer.

Sweet_Toof Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 6

It's just bulged a bit on the sides but hasnt actually collapsed...

I was wondering if I'll be able to save it at decorating stage by evening it out with ganache and then fondant

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 9:09am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

I just baked a chocolate mud cake and whilst still warm, wrapped it in plastic and placed it into the freezer.

An Australian mudcake or an US Mississippi mudcake ?

Why are you wrapping it in plastic and freezing it ? to make it moist ?

An Australian mudcake is a dense moist cake that requires no moisturizing. If it is dry, it's very overcooked.

Once the cake is baked, it should be left in the cake pan to cool completely. If you don't need it immediately, it can be wrapped in plastic to freeze ..

As for an US Mississippi mudcake ..

Sweet_Toof Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

Quote:
Quote:

An Australian mudcake or an US Mississippi mudcake ?

Why are you wrapping it in plastic and freezing it ? to make it moist ?

An Australian mudcake is a dense moist cake that requires no moisturizing. If it is dry, it's very overcooked.

Once the cake is baked, it should be left in the cake pan to cool completely. If you don't need it immediately, it can be wrapped in plastic to freeze ..

As for an US Mississippi mudcake ..

Sorry, I've been mistaken, its an Australian mud cake but I was under the impression wrapping it would keep it moist - and there's so many notes here on CC that say freeze when still warm works well. I guess mine was TOO warm.... I haven't bothered to make a new one. I hope I can save it by levelling it out with extra iced ganache before covering with fondant. I guess I just created a little extra work for myself!
What is the difference with the mississippi mud cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%