So Less Is More?

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 5:42pm by obsessed

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:43am
post #1 of 8

I made a cake the other night and I thought it was gonna be soo yummy... but it was such an over load of flavors that it was just all messed up!

I tried a triple chocolate cake and it called for two diff kinds of chocolate cake mixes, chocolate chips, chocolate milk instead of water and of course chocolate pudding... but the end result .. to me.. blah.. not as chocolately as you would think. It was like they were all talking so you could not hear a single one of them. Then I added a delicious caramel icing, that could not stand up and compete w/ the cake and the icing was so good.. it should have been the star.

umm.. so sad when cake goes naughty

7 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:50am
post #2 of 8

Yes, it's a delicate balance, isn't it? But good for you for taking a chance and trying something new!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:27am
post #3 of 8

I'm also glad you posted this info. Never in my life would I have thought all of that chocolate would be anything less than awesome! glad to learn this.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm also glad you posted this info. Never in my life would I have thought all of that chocolate would be anything less than awesome! glad to learn this.

well other ppl raved about the recipe (online, not in real life) so I am sure it's just prerferance, but I thought I was a chocoholic. As I have been eating the cake daily (it might not be great cake, but it's still cake! ) I think I have figured out what my deal is.. it's a darker flavor and I like a sweet milky flavor. The cake is not sweet enough for me, kinda like how when I make chocolate cookies I use a milk chocolaet chips (wh/ I used in the cake) and other will use semi-sweet.

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 8

I made this for my daughters birthday party at school. Her teacher said they were the best cupcakes she ever had. I used Indydebi's buttercream. Everybody loved it. Personal preferance I guess.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 8

I also added a caramel icing and crushed snickers to the filling so.. it was just over the top and I have learned that i love candies in my ice cream, but not so much in my cakes.

The caramel icing was so yummy... I am trying to think about what cake would go well with it.. I thought for sure a chocolate cake, but it's just too much... maybe just a white or yellow cake.

I really love a chocolate devils food cake from the dang box.. maybe that is just my holy grail of chocolate cake, but I can't help but think I can find a chocolate cake I'll love better. Oh no poor me, I'l have to start trying out more recipes... of whatever will I do. hee hee hee

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 8

One to try if you haven't already is the chocolate cake on the Hershey cocoa can--it's just a freaking good basic workhorse chocolate cake as written --no tweaking no thinking necessary. The batter comes out kinda watery seeming -- it's not a real thick batter but they tell you not to mind that and it always comes out really nice. Scratch chocolate cake thought for you.

obsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obsessed Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 8

what about VANILLA cake with caramel icing......mmmmmmmmm! icon_smile.gif now I want to bake! lol. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%