Pricing Cookies And Gingerbread Houses

Baking By pmarks0 Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 12:40pm by GeminiRJ

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:45am
post #1 of 4

Hi all,
I was wondering how some of you price your decorated sugar cookies and a gingerbread house?

I know roughly what the house costs in terms of ingredients, but because I made it in stages, it's difficult to determine how much time it took. I'm guessing not more than 2 hours total for assembly? Possibly less?

As for the cookies, I was told once that if I was decorating with fondant it was about $1/inch plus $1 for bag/ribbon. so for a 4" cookie, it would be $5. I find that kind of steep. But what about a RI flooded cookie? I'm trying to determine how to price some Christmas cookies for a flyer I'm going to put out.

Thanks
Pam

3 replies
OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:42am
post #2 of 4

When I priced my cookies I figured my materials, what I want to earn per hour (labor) and then compared to the competition (none locally, fortunately), and finally looked at the "$1 per inch" rule of thumb. (I figured my packaging precisely and came up close to $0.25 per cookie, not $1. That's an easy number to actually calculate.) I would think the same would apply to your gingerbread house.

There are lots of different opinions and geography/local market plays into your decision. Check out this link for some of the insight previously shared on this topic: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-681930-pricing.html+cookies

Good luck!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:01am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

I've just finished calculating the cost of each of my cookies, and I've just ordered my packaging matrerials so I think I can get the actual cost down. I know the packaging on an individual cookie definitely isn't $1 especially since I just ordered cookie treat bags at 5 cents each. icon_biggrin.gif

I think where I'm really stumped is what to do for the gingerbread house. I've figured out that with the candy it's about $8-9 in materials, and maybe another $1 for the board and wrapping, if wrap it in cellophane much like a florist would. So, I'm wondering if $30-40 is too expensive? I haven't found any one ellikng them in my area to use as comparison.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 4

Keep in mind when figuring the cost of the packaging the time involved! It's not just about the cost of the materials. DON'T undersell your time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%