Securing Gumpaste Models On Cakes For Transit

Decorating By stiffalus Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 6:11pm by stiffalus

stiffalus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stiffalus Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 7

i have just made 2 gumpaste horses for a horse racing cake. the only problem i am having is i dont want them falling over or breaking while the cake goes on a half hour journey to its destination. how do i stick them to the cake (fondant) so that they will not break or fall over. also the rails of the racing track how do i stop them from breaking during transit because they are really thin.
i had made a spiderman cake recently and when it went on a 5 min journey in a car the web all broke up just worried the same thing is going to happen again?
thanks for reading. any help would be much appreciated! x

6 replies
yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 12:16am
post #2 of 7

I would have made them with dowels or something similar through their legs to push into the cake. It they aren't hard yet maybe you could use toothpicks? I think BC is a great adhesive. What are the rails made of? Why would they shift that much to make them break?

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 12:50am
post #3 of 7

How about if the horses are placed on the cake after it gets there?
I get nervous with transporting things like that on the cake icon_surprised.gif

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:29am
post #4 of 7

for the horses: Use a small dowel or lolly pop stick and "glue" it on with candy melts or chocolate then stick it in the cake

stiffalus Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 7

thankyou for your suggestions. i didnt put toothpicks in the feet this time. doh! i did with my spiderman figure on a previous cake but he fell over and the toothpicks ripped the fondant that he was stood on so i was bit worried about doing it like that this time but i guess where they have 4 legs and are a bit sturdier than a standing figure i should of. i am making the rail out of those candy sticks and gumpaste just wondered if i had to support it for the journey? i will give the chocolate a try i think or just let them put the horses on them selves when they get there! lol! thanks again.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 7

ya, I did a gumpaste horse, I put a wire, sort of in a horseshoe shape on the backside of the horse. I then put a this piece of gumpaste in the matching color over the wire and glued it there with tylose glue. I did not travel with it in the cake. I placed on the cake when I got there. They could have easily placed it. It was very sturdy. When your spidey ripped, maybe you did not place the pics up high enough to support the top weight. I would not use toothpicks. I would use lollypop sticks. You can always hide them with color, or just don't worry about it. I usually use lollypop sticks for chocolate and wire for gumpaste.

stiffalus Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

ya, I did a gumpaste horse, I put a wire, sort of in a horseshoe shape on the backside of the horse. I then put a this piece of gumpaste in the matching color over the wire and glued it there with tylose glue. I did not travel with it in the cake. I placed on the cake when I got there. They could have easily placed it. It was very sturdy. When your spidey ripped, maybe you did not place the pics up high enough to support the top weight. I would not use toothpicks. I would use lollypop sticks. You can always hide them with color, or just don't worry about it. I usually use lollypop sticks for chocolate and wire for gumpaste.

thanks thats really helpful! x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%