How Do I Make A Fondant Sphere With Two Colors W/o Mixing?

Baking By rachh Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 8:07pm by Crazboutcakes

rachh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachh Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 5

I'm new to this & I've never used fondant before. I want to make cupcakes that have fondant planets on the top, I'm just not sure how I would make an Earth fondant or gum paste sphere without mixing the colors. I want it to look somewhat like the Earth cupcakes in this link below. Any tips/ideas? Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carolinescreations/4886836114/in/pool-27161334@N00/

4 replies
Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 5

Welcome! icon_smile.gif

I don't see Earth cupcakes? Just outer space ones!

Take a look at this link below and see if it inspires your planet idea for Earth. Looks like they marbled some green and a touch of white into the royal blue. You could slice through the ball and see if you get the planet Earth look you are going for.

don't see Earth cupcakes? Just outer space ones!

Take a look at this link below and see if it inspires your planet idea for Earth. Looks like they marbled some green and a touch of white into the royal blue. You could slice through the ball and see if you get the planet Earth look you are going for.

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/coolest-solar-system-birthday-cake-13.html

If you don't want swirled colors, I would cut out the green continent shapes like you want and then lay them on the blue. Use your rolling pin to flatten the whole thing out and mesh the two fondants. OR use some gumglue (a touch of gumpaste dissolved in water) to attach the continents.

Those last 2 suggestions would be time consuming! I'd go with the swirled look. It's more representative from space anyway!

If you don't want swirled colors, I would cut out the green continent shapes like you want and then lay them on the blue. Use your rolling pin to flatten the whole thing out and mesh the two fondants. OR use some gumglue (a touch of gumpaste dissolved in water) to attach the continents.

Those last 2 suggestions would be time consuming! I'd go with the swirled look. It's more representative from space anyway!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 5

Chasey, they're there. Last column, on the right.

And your link didn't post.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 5

i think you could roll a ball of blue. have some green shapes. stick on (might stick with nothing, or the tiniest, tiniest touch of water/ edible glue), and roll the ball in your hands. should give you a fairly smooth finish.
xx

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 5

I have never done a sphere but have made similar flat and shaped and semi shaped things before, But I gues I would start out making the shapes you want with one color and cut the next shape to match the edge of the shape of the previous almost like a puzzle, than when you have the design that you think you need, than I would take a small fondant roller and softly roll them together so that they kinda smoosh together. I'm not sure if this would work but that's what I would try do get the effect. Hope it sends a light for you to try. let us know how it works! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%