Help! New To This And Last Minute!

Decorating By jestan2 Updated 9 Nov 2010 , 10:15pm by jestan2

jestan2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jestan2 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 4

Hey All! So I don't have time or money to take cake classes but I have a goal of making all my daughters birthday cakes by hand. I have decorated cakes before and have a fairly natural hand at that but never with my own baked cake! Ahhh! Her firs birthday is very soon and I am feeling a little panicked.

So I have searched this site over and I am left with a couple questions.

I plan on making the cake on Monday and freezing it. Thaw on Friday and decorate as soon as it thaws Friday. The party isn't until Sunday. I am doing a two tiered round snowman (3D) with a vanilla buttercream (fairly normal recipe). (oh... suggestion, I am making a chocolate base, think the vanilla buttercream frosting sounds like a good match? I thought so but I may be wrong!)

How do I keep the cake/ icing fresh until Sunday? Should I put it in the fridge? Cover it??? I am lost... but I know I wont have time to do it on Sunday! I'll be making cupcakes then icon_smile.gif

3 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 4

It will be fine in the fridge til Sun.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 4

As long as you don't have a perishable filling then you should be able to leave your cake on the counter w/o any issues. Even if you're using an american buttercream that has butter and milk in it it is shelf stable for at least a week, the sugar acts as a preservative so nothing goes bad.

jestan2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jestan2 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so Much for replying so fast!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%