Painting On Fondant

Decorating By justErin Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 8:58pm by jobueno

justErin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justErin Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:41am
post #1 of 9

Can some one point me in the right direction for learning to paint on MMF? I need to add some black "scale" type details (fish scales) to a cake, and painting it on is the only thing I can come up with for the area I need to cover. I've searched CC, but I either can't find anything on it, or am searching for the wrong things.

TIA!

8 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 9:37am
post #2 of 9

Mix your icing color with a little vodka, the alcohol evaporates. I handpainted my gumpaste teacups in my pics using that method. Works great. Take a spare piece of MMF and paint on it and see how it holds up.

justErin Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you SOOOO much!

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 9

You know, justerin... you could also use a decorating tip to make the scales by just using the big side and teasing the fondant with it. Would save a heap of time. Then all you would do is dust it with luster dust.

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 9

I have been doing a lot of free hand painting on fondant lately. You want to use a high alcohol base vodka, you only need a tiny amount, like the airplane size bottle. I found a 160 proof vodka in my local liquor store and it works greats.

Many say to use everclear, however every liquor store I looked in here says that they no longer make it. So I went with the next highest count. If you go with a low alcohol base the paint is not going to dry, and will stay wet, and with MMF will most likely make it gooey.

You will have to play with the mixture between your color gels and the Vodka, i find that just 1/4 teaspoon is more than enough vodka, and about a nice size blob of Black Gel color to make a nice thick black. You will want it to be the consistency of like a bowl of good soup. Not too runny, but not too thick.

Hope I was of help.

justErin Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 9

Those are all great! Thank you very very much!!!!

Nicole6870 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicole6870 Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 9

jobueno,
what do you mean by using the big side of a decorating tip and teasing the fondant? I've only used fondant a few times and they didnt turn out too well. lol. so any tips on how to make it do something, anything would be a big help!

justErin Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 9

Nicole, I think she means by using the opposite end of where the frosting comes out of a tip, and using it to indent and "pull" the fondant into the shape I need. At least that's what I got out of it. icon_smile.gif

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 9

That's exactly what I meant! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%