Help!!! My First "big" Order!!!

Decorating By by_mommamee Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 5:38pm by by_mommamee

by_mommamee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
by_mommamee Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 18

hi!...i got my first "big" order!...i am to make a 3 tier cake (4", 8", 12" - bottom dummy), 20 mini cakes (4") and 100 boxed cupcakes....

i need help in preparing...my oven can only bake 1 (one) 12 hole cupcake pan at a time...how do you suggest i plan out my baking?....

TIA!!!

17 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 18

Good news on your order! How big is your freezer?

by_mommamee Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Good news on your order! How big is your freezer?

well...i have a fridge with a freezer...i think i can stack maybe 6 9x3pans (just for sizing)...will i survive?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 18

A regular size fridge probably won't be large enough to hold the finished boxed items, the cupcakes alone will need 8+ quarter sheet boxes.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 18

I was actually thinking of your freezer space so you could space the baking out over a couple of days, but I don't think your freezer would be big enough. 8.5 dozen cupcakes will take you around 3 hours solid to bake, more if you only have 1 cupcake pan since you have to allow for a few minutes between taking the pan out and removing the cupcakes, cooling the pan, and refilling. I would suggest getting another pan so you can be filling it while the first lot of cupcakes are being baked.
Your 8" cake will probably take around 35 mins for each layer. I would suggest for the 4" you bake in the form of sheets and cut out rounds with a large cutter.
I think you can do all the prep and baking in one day. Then the next day do the decorating. 20 4" cakes will take a while to fill and decorate though. The 100 cupcakes won't take so long if you are just doing a simple swirl and minimal decoration - decorate them in your delivery boxes so you can move them out of the way fast. The 2 tier shouldn't take long to get covered. So you may be able to do all the decoration in 1 day too - but you will be exhausted. Perhaps spread the decoration over 2 days??
I hope you have enough counter space for all those goodies!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 18

Are you sure that is all you can fit in your oven? I can fit 1 regular 12 cavity cupcake pan and 1 regular 6 cavity cupcake pan. That would help speed things up.

The 8" and 4" pans (if 2" pans then 2 of each) can fit in the oven at the same time on one rack. You can fit at least 8 4" pans at a time. So, if the 4" mini cakes are 4" tall and you can bake 8 pans at a time, that is 4 finished cakes at a time. You would have to repeat 5 times. If the cakes are 2" tall, you can finish the 4" mini cake baking in half the time.

Do you work besides cakes? If not, I don't see why you couldn't start baking on Tuesday (assuming Saturday deliver) and knock all this out without any problems.

If you are able to, bake a couple extra 4" cakes and cupcakes incase of an accident.

by_mommamee Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 4:22am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

A regular size fridge probably won't be large enough to hold the finished boxed items, the cupcakes alone will need 8+ quarter sheet boxes.

i was thinking of freezing uniced cupcakes...just haven't figured out how to yet =)....

by_mommamee Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 4:33am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

I was actually thinking of your freezer space so you could space the baking out over a couple of days, but I don't think your freezer would be big enough. 8.5 dozen cupcakes will take you around 3 hours solid to bake, more if you only have 1 cupcake pan since you have to allow for a few minutes between taking the pan out and removing the cupcakes, cooling the pan, and refilling. I would suggest getting another pan so you can be filling it while the first lot of cupcakes are being baked.
Your 8" cake will probably take around 35 mins for each layer. I would suggest for the 4" you bake in the form of sheets and cut out rounds with a large cutter.
I think you can do all the prep and baking in one day. Then the next day do the decorating. 20 4" cakes will take a while to fill and decorate though. The 100 cupcakes won't take so long if you are just doing a simple swirl and minimal decoration - decorate them in your delivery boxes so you can move them out of the way fast. The 2 tier shouldn't take long to get covered. So you may be able to do all the decoration in 1 day too - but you will be exhausted. Perhaps spread the decoration over 2 days??
I hope you have enough counter space for all those goodies!

i love the suggestion of decorating the cupcakes in their boxes!!!...i just don't think i can bake everything and decorate them a day each =(...delivery is 8am...the cupcakes would have a simple swirl...the 3 tier will be fondant with flowers which i'll be making before hand...the mini cakes will be fondant which will look similar to the big cake....

by_mommamee Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 4:45am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

Are you sure that is all you can fit in your oven? I can fit 1 regular 12 cavity cupcake pan and 1 regular 6 cavity cupcake pan. That would help speed things up.

The 8" and 4" pans (if 2" pans then 2 of each) can fit in the oven at the same time on one rack. You can fit at least 8 4" pans at a time. So, if the 4" mini cakes are 4" tall and you can bake 8 pans at a time, that is 4 finished cakes at a time. You would have to repeat 5 times. If the cakes are 2" tall, you can finish the 4" mini cake baking in half the time.

Do you work besides cakes? If not, I don't see why you couldn't start baking on Tuesday (assuming Saturday deliver) and knock all this out without any problems.

If you are able to, bake a couple extra 4" cakes and cupcakes incase of an accident.

for a single layer, only 1 12hole cupcake pan fits =(...i'll be baking the 8 inch in the wilton fancy fill pan and the mini cakes in the mini tasty fill pan...i only have a set of each...do you think refrigerating the cupcakes will be ok instead of freezing them?....

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 4:59am
post #10 of 18

would be better to leave them on the counter, if u refrid your cupcakes, they will dry out. u should be able to freeze them if u wrap them tightly and ziploc them. to decorate leave on the counter for an hour or so to thaw then decorate. good luck!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 5:25am
post #11 of 18

WOW!!! That is a big order. You must have a tiny cocktail oven like me. I would HATE that order with the oven I have. Good luck and I see a few all nighters in your future!!!!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 7:39pm
post #12 of 18

Can you borrow a friend or neighbors larger oven and/or freezer? If so then get some more pans to help with the baking process.

by_mommamee Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 12:29pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb

Can you borrow a friend or neighbors larger oven and/or freezer? If so then get some more pans to help with the baking process.

i'm afraid i can't...i might be the only one in my area with one....

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:21pm
post #14 of 18

Would you be able to bake the cupcakes, cool, place on cake board, wrap, place in freezer....bake some of your other items, allowing the first set of cupcakes to firm up in freezer...bake another set of cupcakes, cool, place on cake board, wrap, place in freezer on top of the now firm first set of cupcakes...bake some of your other items...as long as the set(s) below are firm-frozen, your cupcakes and other items can be stacked without damage. If you can, fill the bottom area of the freezer with wrapped goods, allow to freeze then stack upwards. It may take a good day's work to complete your baking, but you can do it...especially, if you can use the entire freezer for it.

by_mommamee Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 4:46pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Would you be able to bake the cupcakes, cool, place on cake board, wrap, place in freezer....bake some of your other items, allowing the first set of cupcakes to firm up in freezer...bake another set of cupcakes, cool, place on cake board, wrap, place in freezer on top of the now firm first set of cupcakes...bake some of your other items...as long as the set(s) below are firm-frozen, your cupcakes and other items can be stacked without damage. If you can, fill the bottom area of the freezer with wrapped goods, allow to freeze then stack upwards. It may take a good day's work to complete your baking, but you can do it...especially, if you can use the entire freezer for it.

i was thinking of that...i'm only afraid of the cupcake liner...so we're thinking bake the cupcakes first...freeze...bake the mini cakes, then the cakes...make the mmf...make the cake...make the mini cakes...and day before delivery (since delivery is 8am) thaw the cupcakes and put icing on them....is it ok to complete the 3 tier cake 3 days before delivery...the mini cakes 2 days before delivery and the cupcakes a day before?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm
post #16 of 18

I don't see why not...

the mmf and frosting(s) could be made up before you ever start baking...that way, you could focus on the baking

not knowing what your day consists of but, if it's going to be the cakes, there shouldn't be any reason why the main cake couldn't be done two days before and the minis and cupcakes done the day before...even taking time to swiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrlllll each cupcake precisely shouldn't take more than a hour to do 100 of 'em. fill and freeze the 4"ers and take out one or two at a time to cover in fondant so they stay firm during the application would make that go quick and easy.

(I've got approx 10 dozen cupcakes in my freezer (remnants of previous cake orders), the only ones that have liner issues (some have been removed to snack on) are the ones that the pan release hit while spraying other pans...the liners have remained intact. I don't freeze mine in boxes...too much airspace is why I suggested wrapping them while on a cake board...the board will keep them from flopping around and help distribute the weight.)

I think once you begin, you'll find just the thing that works for you and it'll actually be easier than you may be imagining it will be.

by_mommamee Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 5:19pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

i was thinking of that...i'm only afraid of the cupcake liner...so we're thinking bake the cupcakes first...freeze...bake the mini cakes, then the cakes...make the mmf...make the cake...make the mini cakes...and day before delivery (since delivery is 8am) thaw the cupcakes and put icing on them....is it ok to complete the 3 tier cake 3 days before delivery...the mini cakes 2 days before delivery and the cupcakes a day before?

by_mommamee Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 5:38pm
post #18 of 18

not knowing what your day consists of but, if it's going to be the cakes, there shouldn't be any reason why the main cake couldn't be done two days before and the minis and cupcakes done the day before...even taking time to swiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrlllll each cupcake precisely shouldn't take more than a hour to do 100 of 'em. fill and freeze the 4"ers and take out one or two at a time to cover in fondant so they stay firm during the application would make that go quick and easy.

i don't know about swirling the cupcakes in an hour =)...but i definitely appreciate all the help!...thank you!!!...i've got the most response in my CC family (posted the same question on my other orgs)....

anybody else who could give suggestions...keep em coming!...i'm now confident to freeze the cupcakes...do the cake 2 days before delivery...i'll be frosting the cupcakes on their boxes....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%