For All That Use Scoops...

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 10:48pm by Mickeebabe

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 20

I'm wanting to find a better way to scoop my batter into my cupcake pans and am wondering what size/brand you all use? icon_smile.gif

19 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:08am
post #2 of 20

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=841&manufacid=134
Something completely different maybe? Kinda pricey but there's cheaper smaller ones. Just something along this style maybe?

And I mean it'd be a little heavy maybe, but a lot faster.
You'd wanna set yourself up so the cupcake pan is beneath your arms when you are holding the funnel comfortably at a waist high level. In other words working at average counter height might be too high and would wear you out. But a working setup with the pan down lower.

If you are clever you could figure out how to mount it to something so that you could just scoot the pan underneath and keep the funnel in place.

Just a thought.

I hate scoops--they are so messy and you can't get them cleaned out each time so you can get a consistent fill--it's a poor measure to me.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:15am
post #3 of 20

I don't know how many you are doing, but I put my batter into a gal. sized Ziploc, and then cut off one corner. Then, I just "pipe" it into the cupcake liners. I love it because there is no cleanup of the cupcake pans, and I just throw the bag away.

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:21am
post #4 of 20

I use my Pampered Chef Large Scoop. One scoop is the perfect amount!

snowballwinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowballwinters Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:31am
post #5 of 20

I've just found a great scope at target, I've been on the scoop hunt for months! I've even checked out restaurant supply stores. I had heard that the #16 or #20 size was great for cupcakes at the supply store. The scope I found at Target was a kitchenaid brand.

Here's a link:

http://www.target.com/KitchenAid-Ice-Cream-Scoop-Lever/dp/B000IWV2S4/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

hth!

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:35am
post #6 of 20

I found an ice cream scoop at the grocery store that works great for my cupcakes.

snowballwinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowballwinters Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:35am
post #7 of 20

well i just read the reviews of the kitchen scoop I just posted about and I'm taking it back! Dang it!

The plastic part of it breaks the first time you use it.

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:39am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowballwinters

well i just read the reviews of the kitchen scoop I just posted about and I'm taking it back! Dang it!

The plastic part of it breaks the first time you use it.

I have that one and have had it for months.it is PERFECT for cake batter not so good for ice cream. If your just using it for batter keep it

himmlisch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
himmlisch Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:47am
post #9 of 20

I got a cupcake batter dispenser at Bed Bath and Beyond that is so clean, fast, and amazing. Before that I did the ziplock bag trick, but I much prefer this way, since it's less messy.

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:04am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_Cake

I use my Pampered Chef Large Scoop. One scoop is the perfect amount!

Me too, perfect size cupcakes EVERY time.

And when I use a bakeable filling, I use the medium scoop to put batter in the bottom, put a teaspoon of filling in and then another medium scoop of batter on top and it's perfect!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:35am
post #11 of 20

That puts Pampered Chef right between a #20 and a #24. There are several good scoops out there with the number stamped in the moving release arm in the bowl of the scoop. I usually find Pampered Chef on the expensive side.

I don't use this type of scoop for ice cream.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 3:24am
post #12 of 20

I'll have to check out the scoops posted. I order pampered chef from my bf's mom so I think I'll check that one out. The bed bath and beyond one sounds interesting!

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 3:47am
post #13 of 20

I use a #24 Hamilton Beach disher that I found at Smart & Final. It scoops out 1 1/2 oz and feels very sturdy. I think it was about $10.

Kristy

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:04am
post #14 of 20

I saw this in their ad today so I think I'm gonna give it a try.

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmlisch

I got a cupcake batter dispenser at Bed Bath and Beyond that is so clean, fast, and amazing. Before that I did the ziplock bag trick, but I much prefer this way, since it's less messy.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:25am
post #15 of 20

I use a pampered chef scoop...works out perfect. I either use (which I prefer) the middle size and I fill scrap off of bowl and then another half for each one. I also have used the larger one. I think it is pretty much the same amount, but when I get used to one thing, just stick to it.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:30am
post #16 of 20
ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:36am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

i have a pancake batter dispenser, ~$10 on amazon.com

http://cakeoricandothat.blogspot.com/2010/03/handy-gourmet-batter-dispenser-review.html

How do you know exactly how much to use and that all the cupcakes will be equal? Also, how can you use that if you have chunks of stuff in the batter?

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:57am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurpleButterfly

How do you know exactly how much to use and that all the cupcakes will be equal? Also, how can you use that if you have chunks of stuff in the batter?

Alas, this dispenser is only good if you're cool with eye-balling the batter amounts in the cups. The more expensive/professional batter dispensers will distribute via specified amount.

It also only is useful if you have runny batter (e.g. normal cake box mix).

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:07pm
post #19 of 20

Hey, Kitchen Kraft also has a cupcake dispencer i have seen as well as cupcake scoops. Sorry I don't exactly remember the prices.

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:48pm
post #20 of 20

I bought the cupcake batter dispenser from Bed Bath & Beyond and used it today. I L-O-V-E it. It was great. No mess that I usually get using a scoop. It was $14.99 but used a $5 off coupon and got it for $9.99.

I would definately recommend this to anyone who has a hard messy time with the scoops.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%