Viva Method For Smooth Buttercream

Decorating By MGCmom Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 9:53pm by caymancake

MGCmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MGCmom Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 10

Hi,
I just have a question for anyone in Saskatchewan or people using the viva method for smoothing icing. I have tried to find viva brand paper towel here in Saskatoon and I can't find it anywhere. Is there anyone who know where I can find it? Or when using this method is there other types of paper towel that will work also? Or does anyone have any other tips on getting perfectly smooth buttercream? Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
rachelsmom01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelsmom01 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 10

Sorry to say, I don't think they sell Viva in Canada...at least, I've never found it here icon_cry.gif

rachelsmom01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelsmom01 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 10

Sorry, I meant to add that you could try using a piece of plain white paper to help smooth the buttercream after it has crusted slightly.

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 10

Do you have a paper towel there that doesn't have an imprinted pattern? I agree, copy paper will work also. In fact, Sharon Z uses copy paper after the Viva for a super smooth finish.

MGCmom Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 10

Yeah, I am thinking they don't sell it anymore. I remember seeing it a long time ago but not lately. Thanks! for the copy paper idea, I will have to find a good plain paper towel and then follow up with the copy paper. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

mkight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkight Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 10

I use a super smooth paint brush roller & like it better than the viva towels.

greenwichwitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenwichwitch Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 10

i use a gloss mini roller works much better then paper towel

MGCmom Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 10

So this is a roller for paint? Hmmm. Never thought of checking out the hardware store. It is specifically for gloss paint?

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 10

yes a paint roller -- look for a high density foam one

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 10

I've also used parchment paper, when I've run out of viva. On one of my other cake websites, people swear by the foam rollers, and based on their photos, it definitely seems to work! I haven't tried it out as yet, but plan to before my Christmas rush!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%