Going To Buy My First Stand Mixer...

Decorating By zaco Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 10:28pm by Nao_13

zaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zaco Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 18

But I don't really know what type to get!
I think I will go with a 5 qt, and I notice there are various motor speeds. Do I really need a 450 watt motor, or is that really just for heavy duty commercial stuff?
Also I heard a lot of good things about KitchenAid, but after doing some research I heard the quality isn't what is used to be. Is it worth spending the money on the brand?
Would really appreciated input! Thanks!

17 replies
Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:35am
post #2 of 18

I got my Kitchen Aid mixer one year ago, & i tell you its the best thing that ever happened to me!!!
I do everything on it from cookies to pizza dough to mashed potatoes!!
I have the 5qt. 350 watts & never thought i needed a bigger bowl or a more powerfull mixer
So far no problems what so ever.. it comes with 3 attachments plus you can get other peices too like the shredder/slicer
I think you should go for it
good luck!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:42am
post #3 of 18

I have two 6 qt KA's and I love the larger size. Of course I have four kids too, so I also use it for making big batches of mashed potatoes, and bread dough, and etc.

Its also great for making a nice big batch of buttercream so I don't have to keep making more and more. Also comfortably mixes 3 cake mixes at once....can barely fit 4 mixes but its too close to mix as well.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:19am
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaco

But I don't really know what type to get!
I think I will go with a 5 qt, and I notice there are various motor speeds. Do I really need a 450 watt motor, or is that really just for heavy duty commercial stuff?
Also I heard a lot of good things about KitchenAid, but after doing some research I heard the quality isn't what is used to be. Is it worth spending the money on the brand?
Would really appreciated input! Thanks!

I'm usually the person who says stay away from KA. I'm changing that a little bit. The problems I've been told are from people who bought the Artisan models. They wanted the mixer to match their kitchen decor.

Costco starting 11/11 is offering $50 off the Pro model all metal construction. (coupon) Color choices are white, red and black. It's the model that the bowl lifts up. Costco allows you to return up to 2 years. They haven't carried them for quite some time at my store, so maybe these will be better. I'm going to look at them and see if I can fit in my budget.

I have a KA, but it was actually built by Hobart. It's only the classic model, but it's still a work horse after 20 years.

Personally, I prefer more power and bigger bowls. My classic can do a bigger bowl, I think it cost around $40 and has a handle, maybe 5 qt.

My only caution to you is, if you get a KA, make sure the return policy is great. Costco takes almost everything back within 2 years, don't even need the receipt. You might need the box.

HTH

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:36am
post #5 of 18

I love my Pro KA! I've had it for about three years and it still works great.

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 18

LOVE my KA Pro 6qt! Got it off Ebay, brand new, with a warranty. I think it was around $300? It has taken everything that I have thrown in (or at) it. icon_smile.gif Pasta dough, cookie dough, mashed potatoes, fondant...blah blah blah. Love it!

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 18

Hi,

I'm in the UK so I don't know if you get the same brands etc as us, but I'm on my 2nd Kenwood Chef and I love it! My first was a hand me down from my mother and it eventually self retired after 30 years. So far I've done cake mixes, buttercream and pizza dough in my Kenwood and it's a real work horse.

ranae5463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranae5463 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 18

I have the KA Pro - 5qt. I started out with my grandmother's KA from the 1940's or 50's and it was only a 3 or 3.5 qt. I still have it and use it occasionally. I've never had a problem with my 2 yr old or my 60 yr old KA. Love them both!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 18

Actually, the more watts, the sturdier the motor, and the more you can do with it without burning the motor out.

Just ask anyone on here who has fried their KA while making rolled fondant.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

nechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nechee Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 10:00pm
post #10 of 18

I bought a KA Professional HD from Costco. It has a 475 watt motor, bowl lift design and has been able to mix everything that I wanted for a year. I love this mixer and would recommend it to anyone. The higher wattage motor is better especially when you want to mix MMF or royal icing. Also it was able to mix all my pizza dough and also my gingerbread cookies. There is a few reviews on youtube about all kinds of mixers. If you type in the brand name and review after it you will find videos of the mixers working and be able to determine what would be good for oyu.

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 8:49pm
post #11 of 18

My mother gave me her 4 qt KA that she had for about 10 years. I loved it so much I bought the KA 6 qt Pro model. Both are sturdy and my mom's hand-me-down mixer is still going strong. Wouldn't bake without them. The KAs are well worth the money.

Nao_13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nao_13 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 18

I currently only have a 30 yr old hand-me-down hand mixer for my cakes hence i dont make my own fondant or buttercream yet! But i am dying to buy a KA stand mixer... but you say the new artisan KA in multi-colors aren't any good???

zaco Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:53pm
post #13 of 18

Thank you for all the replies!
It still seems confusing as first I need to decide exactly which type I want, then find the best price.

I also have a question about the artisan series. No good?

And I guess it's not worth it to buy a refurbished product, right? I mean they are so much cheaper for a reason.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 10:01pm
post #14 of 18

I just recently bought a new mixer, but it isn't a KA. I've had KA in the past and still use the one I have. I got it when Hobart was still making them and it works great, but read on the internet about how since the manufacturer has changed hands the KA, even the pro model, isn't like they use to be. I read so many negative comments on KA that I chose a 7-qt Cuisinart. It has been fantastic and I love it! It also has a 2 year warranty versus a 1 year with KA. I still plan on using the old KA, but for larger recipes of BC, cake batters, etc., I'll be using my larger Cuisinart.

zaco Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 10:15pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerle

I just recently bought a new mixer, but it isn't a KA. I've had KA in the past and still use the one I have. I got it when Hobart was still making them and it works great, but read on the internet about how since the manufacturer has changed hands the KA, even the pro model, isn't like they use to be. I read so many negative comments on KA that I chose a 7-qt Cuisinart. It has been fantastic and I love it! It also has a 2 year warranty versus a 1 year with KA. I still plan on using the old KA, but for larger recipes of BC, cake batters, etc., I'll be using my larger Cuisinart.

Wow, I just looked up a cuisinart 5.5 Q mixer and it has a 800 watt motor, 12 speeds, 3 yr warranty with 5 yr motor warranty, and costs $270 on amazon. I'm going to do a bit more research but I think I'm gonna go with this! Thanks for the brand suggestion!

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 10:16pm
post #16 of 18

I have a 5 quart KA artisan and I have had no problems with it....it is about 5 years old so maybe that is prior to them changing manufacturers? It handles pizza dough, seitan, MMF, or anything else I throw at it with ease....I feel like giving it a little kiss on the "head" before bed every night icon_smile.gif

It is my best "friend" that doesnt have a heartbeat, hahaha!
Cathy

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 10:17pm
post #17 of 18

I got KitchenAid Pro600 and love it! I think they have it on sale at Sams Club.

Nao_13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nao_13 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 10:28pm
post #18 of 18

Yeah that price for the cuisinart does look nice, but for me my mom and my grandmother both had KA and i guess i want to continue and have a KA but yeah the pricing of those KA 's scare me, 300.00 damn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%