Can You Freeze Mm Fondant?

Decorating By Lakelover Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 12:02am by Lakelover

Lakelover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lakelover Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 11

Has anyone tried it? What happended?
I have not tried it but may have a few too many orders for Turkey day!
Thanks for your help!!

10 replies
Lakelover Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 11

Bump

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 11

I often make more MM fondant than I need, and freeze what's left. Of course I double wrap it in plastic and keep it in an airtight container with a lid. When I need it for the next cake I simply let it warm to room temperature before kneading it to make it pliable again. If the MMF is a little hard, I microwave it for about 5-10 seconds on half power and VOILA...it's soft and pliable.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:31am
post #4 of 11

No need to freeze, you can keep MMF for a couple months in the pantry. I make fairly large quantities. I use Rhonda's MMF and don't use fresh lemon juice (realemon instead) and it's fine in the pantry.

cakesrock Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:36am
post #5 of 11

PS: Forgot to mention that I freeze fondant covered cakes all the time for 6-8 wks. I put them in a cake box or plastic container and then wrap 2 garbage bags over top of the box or container, pushing as much air out as possible. When I take them out, I let them come to room temp in the wrappings. Then let it air dry for 1-2 hours, depending on humidity in your area. It is tacky to the touch at first but dries. Then you can decorate with edible images, RI or paint. No one would ever know it was frozen...

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:44am
post #6 of 11

cakesrock, u think that they could be frozen in one of those cake carriers then wraped in a garbage bag

cakesrock Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:53am
post #7 of 11

Yes, that's exactly what I do...

mommynana Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:02am
post #8 of 11

wow i would never think of freeze the cake for that long but if u say thats what u always do then i belive it could be done,can u answer one question for me that i cant get an answer . is it ok to but fuirt jam in a topsy torvy cake being it has to be carved. i would really really appreciate an answer thank u

cakesrock Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:22am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

wow i would never think of freeze the cake for that long but if u say thats what u always do then i belive it could be done,can u answer one question for me that i cant get an answer . is it ok to but fuirt jam in a topsy torvy cake being it has to be carved. i would really really appreciate an answer thank u

6-8 weeks is my max, but not my ideal..but it's fine as long as it's wrapped well. I also use a super moist cake - WASC is very good for freezing for long periods. Sorry, I can't give you an experienced answer with the 2nd part - I've never used fruit jam or made a topsy turvy. BUT I don't see it being a problem....I torte my cakes BEFORE carving or I end up carving off the dam. I think as long as you have a damn, you're okay...Best to torte, carve, then fill from my experience. Good luck!

mommynana Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:28am
post #10 of 11

thanks so much cakesrock, i think i`ll do that and i also use WASC

Lakelover Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 12:02am
post #11 of 11

THANKS so much for the responses!! GREAT info!
Blessings
Tonya

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%