Need A Fabulous Hot Cocoa Mix

Lounge By cookiemom51 Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 3:16pm by TexasSugar

cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 5

What do you all add to the standard hot cocoa mix to make it fabulous? I use nonfat dry milk, nondairy creamer, cocoa and powdered sugar to make my mix. I would like to have an improved mix to use as wedding favors, so would like to kick it up several notches. TIA for your ideas.

4 replies
allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 5

Hmm, not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I make hot chocolate and I used 4 oz. milk choc. chips, 4 oz. bittersweet choc. chips, 1 teaspoon instant coffee, 1 Tbsp. sugar, and two cinnamon sticks. That gets added to 5 cups of milk and 1 tsp. of vanilla extract. It is the best hot chocolate in the entire world, but would probably end up looking like a bag of chocolate chips rather than a pretty favor.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 5

I use the America's Test Kitchen recipe. I keep a giant jar on hand at all times.

3 cups nonfat dry milk
8 ounces powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder, dutch processed
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
1/4 teaspoon salt

Pulverize in a food processor.

Stir 1/3 into 1 cup of hot milk.

Nonfat dry milk adds a sweet dairy flavor to the cocoa, especially if you reconstitute the mix with hot milk instead of hot water.
Confectioners' sugar works best in this recipe--it dissolves quickly and the cornstarch (an ingredient manufacturers add to the sugar to prevent clumping) helps thicken the cocoa.
White chocolate provided our cocoa with a soft, creamy texture and pushes the chocolate flavor to new heights.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 5

The hot chocolate mix they sell at WS is fabulous. They only have it around the Holidays. It isn't cocoa powder but shaved chocolate pieces. It comes in regular and Peppermint.

Allie73, your's sound delish, also.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 5

http://www.rightathome.com/Food/Recipes/Pages/HotCocoaGiftswithaPersonalTouch.aspx?sid=email&cid=rah201011&rid=13245417&om_rid=AA$HvH&om_mid=_BM0EPCB8VgIMcE

I just saved the above the other day.

If you used powder creamers, what about using flavored ones? French Vanilla or Hazelnut would be with cocoa.

http://www.adamsextract.com/display.asp?DepartmentID=1406

Or maybe you can add in some powdered flavors. Adam's extract makes a mint one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%