Luster Dust, Edible Glitter, Sanding Sugar, Pearl Dust?

Baking By OneCreativeCookie Updated 9 Nov 2010 , 6:09pm by TexasSugar

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 7

I'm trying to be better about not purchasing all of my supplies at retail (Michael's mostly) and need some help understanding some terminology...

Sanding sugar - this is your typical, buy-it-anywhere "sugar sprinkle", right? Can it be purchased in "clear"...I haven't seen this size sprinkle in clear.
Sparkling sugar - this is the larger grain, colored sugar sprinkle, right?

Now, Pearl dust...is this the same as luster dust? Some luster dust is listed as non-edible! What would you use that for???

Edible glitter...what do you use this for?

Disco dust...what is this?

And, I purchased a little vial of pearl dust at Michael's, but have yet to open it...do I dust it on with a little brush once my glace is dry? Some directions seem to suggest that I'd dissolve it in vodka (or another clear alcohol), but if I paint wet onto my glace won't it ruin the finish on the glace?

Any suggestions on where to buy these kind of items online?

Finally, if you buy sanding sugar in bulk, where do you get smaller containers to sprinkle from? I'd love to find a one ounce bottle/container to shake from...?

Thanks so much in advance for any and all definitions, hints and tips/tricks!!

6 replies
DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 7

Sanding sugar is your typical decorating sugar... but if you buy it from a cake decorating supply place, you'll have a lot more colors available than the grocery or Michael's would have. There is clear, but I think it's usually called white. I don't know what sparkling sugar is. But there is also another decorative sugar available that is just usually called coarse sugar.

Pearl dust and luster dust are the same thing. But pearl dust is usually just white, or variations of white (e.g. hint of gold). Luster dust comes in many colors. The inedible ones are certain blue colors that have an ingredient that shouldn't be eaten. Though it's non-toxic, they recommend that you only use these colors on decorations that will be removed from the cake (e.g. gum paste flowers).

I've never used dusts on glace before, so I don't know what results you'd get. People usually use the dusts on fondant and gum paste. You can apply the dusts dry with a brush. Or if you want a more solid paint finish, that's when you'd dissolve it in alcohol.

Edible glitter is a sugar flake that you can sprinkle on iced cakes, etc. for a little subtle sparkle.

Disco dust is glitter. It's non-toxic, but like the inedible dusts, meant only to be used on decorations that will be removed.

www.globalsugarart.com and www.thebakerskitchen.net are two very good websites to find supplies. There are a number of others also... a quick google search will come up with quite a few.

HTH

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 7

Just a note of clarification...you do not dissolve the dust in alcohol or lemon extract...you make a loose paste and then paint on.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 7

Here are a couple of youtube videos that might help with some of your questions...

HTH... icon_smile.gif

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Just a note of clarification...you do not dissolve the dust in alcohol or lemon extract...you make a loose paste and then paint on.

That's true. Dissolve was not the correct word. Thanks icon_smile.gif

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 1:16am
post #6 of 7

Thanks all...so for luster dust (or pearl dust) would you just brush onto dry glace? That's the one thing I still can't figure out.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 7

Wilton's Pearl dust is typically called Luster dust buy other companies. Pearl dust is usually white. Both have the shimmer to them.

Witlon's Pearl Dust is FDA approved and is Edible. Crystal Colors also have an FDA approved/edible dust, their Crystalized line.

Alot of other brands of pearl and luster dusts are going to be non toxic, rather than edible. The difference is that they shouldn't hurt you but aren't meant to be eaten.

And there are some dusts (like the disco) that will actual say non edible on them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%