Non Dairy Buttercream Frosting?

Baking By Kcqt443 Updated 26 May 2017 , 4:25am by Bakell

Kcqt443 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kcqt443 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 18

Hi everyone,
I'm making a cake for next weekend (just a 6 inch, and not decorated) for my soon to be godson's baptism. Easy right? Nope! He's allergic to Dairy, Soy, Eggs, Wheat/Gluten (not sure which yet, So I need to avoid both) and Also need to avoid Peanuts and Treenuts because he's 8 months old.

I found a boxed cake mix that he can have (CherryBrook Kitchen, Gluten Free Dreams) and I'm trying to figure out how to top it. I'm sure he'd enjoy just the cake, but his Mom is nursing him So she's on the same diet restrictions. and I think she'd really enjoy some sort of icing.

I found this one,
http://www.celiac.com/articles/529/1/Butter-Cream-Nondairy-Frosting-Gluten-Free/Page1.html

So, my question is, has anyone tried this recipe or a similar one? Were than any good? Worse case scenario, I can top it with powdered Sugar or a maybe a glaze?

17 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:16am
post #2 of 18

You can just use the regular Wilton bc recipe and sub rice milk or even water. I always make it with water.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:28am
post #3 of 18

i agree use wilton with water. or i believe cherry brook makes frosting too.
if not their brand ive seen other can frosting that is dairy and gluten free.
hth

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:04am
post #4 of 18

The basic b/c recipe on the Wilton site:

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

This recipe uses "shortening" (and most vegetable shortenings like Crisco are made with soy). And the butter or margarine in the recipe (contains dairy or soy). thumbsdown.gif

You'd need to use a non-soy based shortening like Spectrum Organic (palm oil) and a non-soy based margarine (Earth Balance has a non-soy spread but don't know how well that would work in frosting).

However, you could easily use all Spectrum shortening for the fat in the recipe. And of course, rice milk or water for the milk, as has been said.

Spectrum organic shortening:

http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=247

Earth Balance soy-free soft spread margarine:

http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/eb_pdfs/products/soy-free-nutrition-info.pdf

HTH

Kcqt443 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks for the help everyone!
I was talking to his Mom last night, and she said the same thing, that Cherrybrook made a frosting. And she might make a trip to whole foods to grab some!

If not, I'll have to try the earth balance or spectrum shortening!

Thanks again!

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 18

Earth Balance is WONDERFUL! They make a soy free version (red container) Good luck!

Kcqt443 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 18

You mean in making a buttercream?

Awesome! Thanks for the help!

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 18

Earth Balance is fantastic to make BC with...they make margarine and shortening as well. Isa Chandra Moskowitz has a cookbook called Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World---fantastic recipes to bake with, all delicious. I know u r not requesting Vegan recipes, but you may find the book very useful. Also Post Punk Kitchen has a huge database of Vegan recipes that may be of use to you as well.
Cathy

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonds-and-rust

Earth Balance is fantastic to make BC with...they make margarine and shortening as well. Isa Chandra Moskowitz has a cookbook called Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World---fantastic recipes to bake with, all delicious. I know u r not requesting Vegan recipes, but you may find the book very useful. Also Post Punk Kitchen has a huge database of Vegan recipes that may be of use to you as well.
Cathy

I second the recommendation for Vegan Cupcakes book. Our family has lots of allergies and this book has lots recipes that work for us. And there has not been one cupcake failure yet!! And you would never guess the cupcakes are vegan....they are enjoyed by all.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 18

Earth Balance is what they use at the vegan cupcakes class they offer at ICE in NYC.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

diamonds-and-rust Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:29am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

Quote:

Cathy

I second the recommendation for Vegan Cupcakes book. Our family has lots of allergies and this book has lots recipes that work for us. And there has not been one cupcake failure yet!! And you would never guess the cupcakes are vegan....they are enjoyed by all.

Hi Cakeythings....have you tried the tiramisu cuppies? TO DIE FOR...
I love her cookie and brunch book as well. The East Coast Coffee Cake is, bar non, the best coffeecake I have ever eater, vegan or not.

cakeythings1961 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 2:37pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

Quote:

Cathy

Hi Cakeythings....have you tried the tiramisu cuppies? TO DIE FOR...
I love her cookie and brunch book as well. The East Coast Coffee Cake is, bar non, the best coffeecake I have ever eater, vegan or not.

Oh, yes! I made the tiramisu cupcakes, and even my picky & critical fil thought they were yummy. I have not tried the coffee cake, but thanks for the tip--it's going on my "make this" list immediately!!

diamonds-and-rust Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:17pm
post #13 of 18

the coffee cake is in the Vegan brunch book...LMK if you don't have the book, I can post the recipe for you. Hey, whereabouts are you in Chicagoland? I grew up in Lombard, but live in Seattle now.
TTYL

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:33am
post #14 of 18

If they want something light, how about Rich's Bettercreme?

If you want a more traditional buttercream, Sugarshack's is dairy free because she uses liquid coffee creamer. I'd check the label for the other allergens though.

cakeythings1961 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:10pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

If they want something light, how about Rich's Bettercreme?

If you want a more traditional buttercream, Sugarshack's is dairy free because she uses liquid coffee creamer. I'd check the label for the other allergens though.

It should be that simple, but it's not, because most shortenings are made from soy. Also, liquid coffee creamer has milk derivitives.

cakeythings1961 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:14pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:

the coffee cake is in the Vegan brunch book...LMK if you don't have the book, I can post the recipe for you. Hey, whereabouts are you in Chicagoland? I grew up in Lombard, but live in Seattle now.
TTYL

I do have the recipe, but thanks! We live in Aurora, but I used to work in Lombard. My DH often travels to Seattle for business--it's one of his favorite places to visit. icon_smile.gif

diamonds-and-rust Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 8:45pm
post #17 of 18

Small world icon_smile.gif
That coffee cake is bomb, my favoritie combo is lemon zest and any kind of berry.
Yes, Seattle is a lovely town, but I always look forward to going "home"...Chicago's museums, restaurants, and people are THE BEST!
Today in Seattle we are getting a bit of snow, about 1-2 inches. It is hilarious, everyone FREAKS OUT, schools close, people stay home from work....
take care and have a piece of Lou Malnati's for me ***drooolllll***
Cathy

Bakell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakell Posted 26 May 2017 , 4:25am
post #18 of 18

This is the one I use, and my favorite buttercream recipe overall! :)

http://bakell.com/blog/my-favorite-no-milk-buttercream-recipe/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%