I Need Advise On Sharing A Kitchen With A Caterer.

Business By cut-n-up Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 7:18pm by jason_kraft

cut-n-up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cut-n-up Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 3

I am in the process of building my own cake shop. In the mean time I have a pending contract to be a preferred baker for a huge Bridal co. So I need license. I have a good friend who owns his own catering company and works out of his now closed resteraunt kitchen. He is willing to let me work as a contractor or partner with him since I only need temporary situation and he will be expanding into another area and the timeing works for us both. Can anyone tell me how I can work with or under his established business. I am so close to being completly leagal myself but I cannot pass up the opportunity in this contract with this bridal company. I need some advise on how to make myself leagal now. I have the kitchen and a willing caterer. There has to be a way that I can work under him some how. I just don't know how to do it. I am in GA. Please help if you can. Thanks

2 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 3

The best thing you can do is call your local health dept. and ask these questions. There are some states/counties/cities that don't allow shared use of a kitchen between two food vendors. It's best to talk to your local HD to get the correct information for your area

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 3

In most areas, licensing your business is the easy part, you should just need a license from your local city/town (of course check with your municipality for the details). Once you have your business license, your business would simply be a tenant of your friend's company, and you will probably need the health department to inspect you in your friend's kitchen. Don't forget liability insurance as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%