Gum Paste & Fondantdrying Out

Decorating By KimmyKatCakes Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 2:50am by KimmyKatCakes

KimmyKatCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKatCakes Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 4

What is the trick to smooth gum paste? My son was making some animals and the finished product was all cracked up. It was a new bag of Wilton. Our family is new to decorating, so this was our first go round. Also we used Satin Ice Fondant and crisco to help smooth it, but it still cracked. Is there a trick to this stuff?? I normally make my own MMF and have not ever had this problem.

Thanks ladies!

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:45am
post #2 of 4

Gum paste and fondant are suppose to dry out. Keep what you can covered while working with it.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:25am
post #3 of 4

I have also found that satin ice dries out faster than homemade MMF. I use Rhonda's ultimate MMF in recipes - it's awesome! Also, if you are making figures, mix your fondant with tylose or gumtex. You get longer to work with them and they wont' crack so easily. Gumpaste alone is great if you need something really thin (like flowers) or shoe sole but I don't like it much for figurines. You have to work fast with it.... And like the previous poster said, keep it covered with saran while you are working with it.

KimmyKatCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKatCakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:50am
post #4 of 4

Thanks ladies! I had been making my own MMF up until someone said to try Satin Ice. I am not too happy with it, but it sure is nice to save on some time in the beginning. Good to know gumpaste is meant for smaller items, that helps a ton!

What recipe for the MMF is the best? I have just been doing one with marshmallows and powered sugar and everyone likes it, but maybe there is a better one out there. Still learning the ropes and off to my second class tomorrow. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%