Cupcakes For Wedding

Decorating By fabbo Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 5:37am by Love2BakeCakes

fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 16

How many cupcakes per guest do you plan on? I have a co-worker wanting me do cupcakes for her wedding. This is an area I don't know about. Anyone?

15 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 16

I would say no more than 2....some will have more and some will have none but I say that people don't need more than 2 or they are being piggies...and some don't have any at all...

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 16

I agree... 2 per person is plenty....but if they want more and will pay for more...go for it.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 16

Ask your customer what she wants. I don't know why a guest at a wedding would expect to have more than one cupcake. They only get one piece of cake and it's about the same amount.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 16

I did a cupcake wedding last year, and the bride told me that there were people eating 3 and 4 of them. (and they were all the same flavor) You may want to mention that to the brides that are considering having them....I know I do now!

How would they be able to "police" how many each person gets?

Ruth0209 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I did a cupcake wedding last year, and the bride told me that there were people eating 3 and 4 of them. (and they were all the same flavor) You may want to mention that to the brides that are considering having them....I know I do now!

Unless all the guests had been served and there were obviously leftovers, I think it's totally low class to help yourself to more than one dessert. It's just plain tacky.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Quote:

Unless all the guests had been served and there were obviously leftovers, I think it's totally low class to help yourself to more than one dessert. It's just plain tacky.

People don't look at a cupcake as the equivalent to a slice of cake. While I agree about guests needing to use discretion and 3-4 is ridiculous, I think the two apiece is certainly reasonable. However, I too would ask the bride what she wants.

A few years ago, I did cupcakes for a friend's wedding. She was having 50-65 guests. I did 110 cupcakes (3 different flavors.)

Edited to add she had about 10 cupcakes left over which seems to agree with the statement that there are those who won't eat any at all while others might eat more than their share. icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 16

Tacky?? Jeesh, here I thought it was just the fact that my cake tastes sooo good! (that is what the bride told me!) icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif (she said quite a few of the guests did just that, and NO, it was not a "low class" type of wedding - it was very nice!) That is why I asked how would you police how many cupcakes a person takes from the display?

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 16

Also, if she wants to have several flavors this definitely means that guests are apt to have more than one.

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 16

I had a bride on a budget, I don't remember how many guests she had, but she ordered 100 cupcakes (along with a small cake for her and hubby to cut). To "police" people, they were all individually boxed! The cupcake tower dwarfed the wedding cake, but she said everyone loved it (and the cupcakes icon_wink.gif ).

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:20pm
post #11 of 16

I did a sm 3 tiered weeding cake a little over 1 year ago with 100 cup cakes and I made 3 differant flavors. My friend the brides mother did not get one cup cake. Had people coming up to her and asking for more the the cupcakes. So I know people were eating more than 1. I had even used xlg cupcake liners so the cupcakes were larger than standare.

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 16

I think it depends on what the cupcakes are used for ie favours, dessert, or to have with coffee, and the style of wedding reception. A sit down dinner sevice would require 1 cupcake per guest because the cupcakes would be served to the guests. If it's a buffet style where guests walk around helping themselves to dinner and dessert you may need a few more than the number of guests.

I'm doing my first 'official' wedding cupcake tower and the bride is serving cupcakes for dessert. So she has ordered 1 per guest, as the staff at the reception will be plating up and serving. icon_smile.gif HTH

Ruth0209 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:41am
post #13 of 16
Quote:

Tacky?? Jeesh, here I thought it was just the fact that my cake tastes sooo good! (that is what the bride told me!) icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif (she said quite a few of the guests did just that, and NO, it was not a "low class" type of wedding - it was very nice!) That is why I asked how would you police how many cupcakes a person takes from the display?

Yes, if I were the MOB and had ordered one cupcake for each guest, I would have someone "policing" the service of the cupcakes. Often, there are too many to go on the cupcake stand anyway, and someone needs to replenish the supply so it's easy to watch it.

We had three flavors of cake at my daughter's wedding. Everyone had a piece, then only when it was clear that everyone had been served, a bunch of people came up and tried the other flavors. We didn't care because we had way more cake than we needed (except the caterer ran out of forks because of it!).

But when an adult is at a buffet, most polite people take a look around and see how many more people need to be served before they take a big double serving of something that could run out. I stand by my statement that to do otherwise is boorish.

I'm not saying the event itself was a low class affair. I'm saying the guests who took four cupcakes acted in a low class way.

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:54am
post #14 of 16

I have done a few cupcake wedding towers, and the brides have both ordered one cupcake per guest. At one of the weddings I know that the waitstaff was going to plate the cupcakes and serve them to the guests, not sure if they did the same at the other wedding. I always included a few extra, especially if there were children in the wedding party or a kids table at the reception.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:08am
post #15 of 16

tacky to have more than one dessert? Heck, at my weddings, I ENCOURAGE people to have a second slice if they want it! thumbs_up.gif

But cupcakes are looked at as a more casual dessert. While most folks may feel uncomfortable taking a second plate of cake, cupcakes tend to viewed as a snack food and folks have no qualms about taking 2 or even 3. A mother may tell her child "I don't care if you don't like carrot cake, you eat that whole slice and you're NOT getting another!" but the same mother will tell her child, "If you don't like that cupcake, go get another one."

cupcakes are also easy to pick up and take with you on the ride home as opposed to trying to slip a plate of sliced cake in a napkin and drop it in a purse. "One for later", as the saying goes.

Bottom line is to ask the bride what she wants. But I would also advise her that people tend to eat more when it's cupcakes (which is part of my theory of why cupcakes are not always cheaper ... because the bride has to buy more.)

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:37am
post #16 of 16

One cupcake would be enough for me, but I agree with the majority ... the best thing to do is ask the bride.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%