11.5.10 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 4:24pm by steffiessweet_sin_sations

jenny311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny311 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:53am
post #31 of 46

The order I am finishing up includes many "firsts" for me. First time making a baby shower cake, converse baby booties, and using SMBC. I am so excited with how everything is going so far. Just waiting for the cake to finish chilling so I can hot spatula it smooth (Oh that's a first too!!)

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:47am
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

A hockey puck has texture? I just looked up a picture and it looks smooth . . .

The top is smooth but the sides have a bumpy texture sort of like a web.

The texture is almost like super fine quilting. Could you freehand the cross-hatching w/a fondant wheel. It could be pretty rough since pucks are not perfect.

Kristy
(married to an obssessed hockey fan)

To get this texture, I've often used the back of one of those rubber jar openers. It has cross hatching on the back of it. But as someone mentioned above, I think I'd go for the wire mesh strainer too.

I too am married to an obssessed hockey fan, who feels that bringing me a hockey puck from a game is romantic!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:04pm
post #33 of 46

Knocked off at 2 am, back up at 6 to cook breakfast for the full house in our B & B. After deliveries, I'm gonna sleep! Remember to turn your clocks back tonight if you observed Daylight savings Time. Yeah . . . and extra hour!!

Safe deliveries to everyone.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:05pm
post #34 of 46

So it's Saturday, but hey I'll tell you about my Friday night or heck Friday & night. What I thought (& there in lies the problem, I shouldn't think, ever!) was going to be a simple cake turned into bubbles in the BC, BC pulling away, I mean I guess I REALLY added the liquid to this batch, errrrrr. I really think it took a hour to get that 9in cake iced! Oh & that doesn't even tell you about the "kick my butt" the little baby belly gave me, dang I'm nice to just add that on, ugh!!! Heck I quit, said bump it & went to a high school football game (we won 42-0). The team is district champs & that hasn't happened in soo soo long. OK so that was a side note--lol. Got home & got back to work, which was so super easy compared to the nightmare day I'd had. Fondant accents were ready & b/c the client didn't want much fondant I bordered it with BC (gosh I forget how much easier that it for me. Rolling fondant "balls" for border is SOOOO time consuming. So picture is on the camera & cake is in the box. Pick up in 1.5 hrs icon_smile.gif. Florida Gator football & a visit to see my daughter's friend are on the menu for today. Everyone have a great rest of your weekend!!!

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:30pm
post #35 of 46

Leah: all I can say is wow! I would love to spend a day with you just to see how you organize your time. I think I'm way too slow. I'm not in business, but it scares me to think that if I were, I'd have to be much faster with things. How do you do it?

I'm still working on the bridal-shower cake for tomorrow and I'm pretty sure it will take me all day. I don't know how you knock out so many in seemingly no time. I am in awe!

jenny311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny311 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:35pm
post #36 of 46

Done and Done. I uploaded my pic of my first baby converse cake!! Time to get a few zzz's before pickup. Good work ladies!!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:38pm
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Knocked off at 2 am, back up at 6 to cook breakfast for the full house in our B & B. After deliveries, I'm gonna sleep! Remember to turn your clocks back tonight if you observed Daylight savings Time. Yeah . . . and extra hour!!

Safe deliveries to everyone.

Dang girl, I think I'll take a nap for you. I just thought your first post exhausted me!!!!! WOW WOW WOW!!

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:27pm
post #38 of 46

Thanks so much for the ideas for the hockey puck! Going to work on it now...Thanks a ton!!!!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:05pm
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

I could just die!!

I had torted my final layer of my Red Velvet cake and was brushing the crumbs off over the sink.....I know...I know....I shouldn't have...

Well....the stupid cake slid off the cooling rack and landed straight into the sink which had some water. My entire cake was soaked in water....have to bake a cake another cake tomorrow!! Oh well....sure learned my lesson....will NEVER do that again. I sure feel like a dumb ass!! LOL..

Thankfully, this cake is not due until Sunday morning and I have plenty of time to bake a single layer icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Pobrecita!!! How awful--I wish I had a video of your face as the cake started sliding. You're mistake has saved me from making that same face. I've done that a few times and never thought about it sliding off. Whew--I've dodged a bullet.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:34pm
post #40 of 46

Was up til 2 a.m. finishing a Cat in the Hat cake for a cousin's first birthday. It was the first time I had worked with an angle that fools the eye and I was scared to death I was not doing it right and that it would surely fall over. It stayed! Hootie Hoo! Maybe I will be a little more confident next time --still it was a scary cake for me!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 6:32pm
post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

I could just die!!

I had torted my final layer of my Red Velvet cake and was brushing the crumbs off over the sink.....I know...I know....I shouldn't have...

Well....the stupid cake slid off the cooling rack and landed straight into the sink which had some water. My entire cake was soaked in water....have to bake a cake another cake tomorrow!! Oh well....sure learned my lesson....will NEVER do that again. I sure feel like a dumb ass!! LOL..

Thankfully, this cake is not due until Sunday morning and I have plenty of time to bake a single layer icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Pobrecita!!! How awful--I wish I had a video of your face as the cake started sliding. You're mistake has saved me from making that same face. I've done that a few times and never thought about it sliding off. Whew--I've dodged a bullet.

Oh Apti....my face was priceless!! I tried to catch it but it was too late. Half of it was completely soaked in water!! I cant even tell you how many times I have done that...brush the crumbs over the sink. But I have learned my lesson....all it takes is for one time to fail. Now I am baking the cake again!!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:21pm
post #42 of 46

Oh, Normita! Was it one of those times where you thought, "I shouldn't do this" just before disaster strikes? That makes me kick myself even harder because I didn't listen to me.

I gave up trying to figure out if I was doing the paper correctly and just did it. I turned it in a bit ago and am now finished with that class which gives me a one day break before my next classes start. I looks like the house just might get cleaned after all.

I boxed the nearly cute cake last night but the fondant is still hard. I'm almost determined to rip off the fondant anyway just so I can say I finally fixed it and have a good portfolio picture. However, my daughter's Varsity Show is tonight so anything cake shall have to wait until tomorrow.

Hope all the deliveries and pick ups went smoothly for everyone!

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:30am
post #43 of 46

wow, u guys are busy ladies!!! so this is what i am working on, 50 fondant topped cupcakes for a housewarming party for a friend who just moved to austin, finished the toppers, black and white, and now am practicing on a dog cake i have for a birthday party next wkend, just got the pan, so thought i would see how it works. have any of u worked with this wilton lamb pan?? the first one i baked for 45 min, perfect but it didnt rise so that it went into both pans! so i filled this one up to the top and put the back on, i dont have directions but the wilton site said to do that, then its in the oven again. i dont know...it tastes great but not sure its rising....any ideas???
oh and making a diaper cake for monday. at least i dont have to worry about IT rising! LOL

steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:31am
post #44 of 46

cheatize, whats your paper on?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 7:04am
post #45 of 46

It's a compilaton paper that's supposed to put together 5 other papers into one. It's for Organizational Behavior class. I swear it would have gone a lot faster if I had written it from scratch instead of trying to follow directions that don't make sense. How do you take 5 five page papers, compile them into an 8-10 page paper, reword the whole shebang so you don't have to cite yourself, include answers to questions you didn't have to answer in the previous papers, and make sure you have a minimum of 10 scholarly references, I dunno. I didn't start it sooner than this week because the teacher said it would be easy since all we had to do was use information from previous work. Using information from previous work and compiling 5 into one and make it flow correctly are two different things, in my opinion.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:24pm
post #46 of 46

ugh, just reading your answer made my brain hurt! poor thing! well i am glad u got it done, this is why i didnt go back to school!! LOL i have a ba in nursing but hurt my back and had to get out of nursing! thought about going back, but u just confirmed it!!! dont know how u have time to cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%