Poll: Royal Icing Or Glace

Baking By springlakecake Updated 25 Nov 2010 , 4:03am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 14

Just curious with the holiday season rolling around what the cookie experts use for decorating. I have always used royal icing with cutout cookies, but thinking maybe I would give the glace a try. Plus I have never run a poll LOL

13 replies
verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:03am
post #2 of 14

Glace with RI accents.

springlakecake Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks for voting! I like royal icing and I don't mind the flavor, but it seems like a lot of exper cookie makers use the glace. I hear it doesnt dry quite as hard when you bite into it. It also has a more translucent look.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 14

I use both. I like the more transparent look of glace for some things, but I really prefer the way the RI handles - and the way the colors look for other things. If you use the right recipe for RI, it does NOT dry too hard (it's not the same RI as you would use on gingerbread houses where you want it to dry rock-hard) I use Antonia74's recipe and the texture/hardness is actually almost exactly the same as the glace I've used.

I did an experiment a few months ago where I compared the two. I posted the results on here, in case you want to take a look.

Bonniebakes icing experiment RI vs glace
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-684108-.html

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 14

Like bonniebakes, I use both, depending on the look I'm after.

springlakecake Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 14

I do use antonia's RI recipe. I guess it depends on how long the cookie is out before it dries really hard. Sometimes I find it softer than others, but I think those are the fresher cookies.

For those of you who vote "neither" could you let us know what you do use instead??

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by springlakecake

I do use antonia's RI recipe. I guess it depends on how long the cookie is out before it dries really hard. Sometimes I find it softer than others, but I think those are the fresher cookies.

For those of you who vote "neither" could you let us know what you do use instead??

They probably use fondant icon_wink.gif

springlakecake Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 14

you are probably right!

cookielicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielicious Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 12:00am
post #9 of 14

I use glace with royal accents too. The flavor goes best with my sugar cookie recipe. I'm not a fan of the way royal tastes or it's crunch. Most of my family/friends prefer the glace. I do use Antonia's recipe for the details, but have used it to flood cookies before and found it completely crunchy. The only way it is not is if you eat the cookie the day it is made.

kittykat416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittykat416 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:02am
post #10 of 14

I'm still fairly new to this cookie thing, so I'm still experimenting with each batch to determine which type of icing I like best. I think I've finally narrowed it down to three recipes (royal icing, glace and a butter+meringue powder icing) that I use at different times depending on the circumstances (how much drying time I have, how far I have to transport the cookies, etc).

I definitely tend to go back to RI for fine detailing since it seems to be the easiest to use. And for the base icing I'll use either glace or the butter+meringue powder icing. The butter+meringe powder icing doesn't harden as much as the glace or the RI, which makes it nicer to eat, but more susceptible to getting mangled in transport.

(the butter+meringue powder icing I use is a variation from Karen's Cookies that I'm continually tweeking)

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:36am
post #11 of 14

I love how easy it is to mix up glace icing. It's all I've ever used.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:18pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

When you use glace to do the details, how long do you let the initial glace dry?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:33pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

When you use glace to do the details, how long do you let the initial glace dry?

I've done the details and outlines as soon as about half hour after I've iced the last color, or as long as overnight. It just depends on where I am in the decorating process when I decide I'm too tired to keep going. I've never had a problem with the outlines bleeding, which might be because I use a #1s tip and it is too thin to cause a problem.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 4:03am
post #14 of 14

Thanks GeminiRJ. Decorated cookies has been something I've been wanting to get into but have never tried because I'm so intimidated by it LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%