Dye Homemade Marshmallow Fondant Black?

Sugar Work By MasonsMom7610 Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 2:56am by hvanaalst

MasonsMom7610 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MasonsMom7610 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 6

I have tried on several occasions to dye my homemade marshmallow fondant black and it never works. It will get really sticky once I get it to black, then I have to add more powdered sugar which turns it back to gray. Any suggestions?
I hate buying it...it gets expensive and it doesn't taste as good.
(This actually applies to any dark color I have tried to make...)
Thanks!

5 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 6

the only way to color it is to color the marshmallows BEFORE adding PS. It takes a lot less color, a lot less kneading, and you can add as much or little PS as you need to get the right consistency.

I colored this black MMF that way and never looked back, it's the only way i do dark colors if i make it.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=25555

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 6

Start with chocolate MMF, add dye before the powdered sugar, and let rest at least one day as it gets darker the longer it sits. This doesn't take too much black and tastes yummy too because it is black. I have some on the 80's cake in my gallery to give you an idea how it turns out.

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanaalst

Start with chocolate MMF, add dye before the powdered sugar, and let rest at least one day as it gets darker the longer it sits. This doesn't take too much black and tastes yummy too because it is black. I have some on the 80's cake in my gallery to give you an idea how it turns out.

Are you saying add dye and let rest before putting the PS with it, or after PS is included to then let rest.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanaalst

Start with chocolate MMF,

Please be careful starting with Chocolate MMF. I know it's not as common of an allergy or health issue, but there are people out there that can't have chocolate. I have a couple of customers that can't b/c it's a life and death situation. If you do start with chocolate PLEASE let your customer/clients know if you do sell cakes so they'll know if there are any issues.

Also on a personal level, if I was getting a cake covered with chocolate covered fondant i would want to know, as i don't like chocolate I would want to make another color/flavor choice.

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 2:56am
post #6 of 6

I meant let it rest after it is all mixed together.

I think it goes without saying to let your customer know. Not sure about you but I always clarify allergy concerns before I make a cake for someone and discuss flavors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%