Swirl Help And Cupcake Liners

Baking By DinasSugarShack Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 8:51pm by luddroth

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:13am
post #1 of 4

I was wondering if anyone knows of a tutorial out there that shows how to do the swirl. I have the 1M tip and I tried doing the swirl but it doesn't quite come out perfect.
Do you cover the whole top with the swirl or do you stay in the centre? My cupcakes are usually bigger that the average I have seen (the top has a wider diameter) is that my problem? Am I trying to cover too big of an area?

The other question i had was about cupcake liners. I need to make cupcakes for a baby shower and I wanted to use the pastel blue and pink liners. However, they don't look blue or pink coming out of the oven. Do you use a specific brand that looks good after it has been baked?

Thank you so much for all your help.
Dina's sugar shack

3 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinasSugarShack

I was wondering if anyone knows of a tutorial out there that shows how to do the swirl. I have the 1M tip and I tried doing the swirl but it doesn't quite come out perfect.
Do you cover the whole top with the swirl or do you stay in the centre? My cupcakes are usually bigger that the average I have seen (the top has a wider diameter) is that my problem? Am I trying to cover too big of an area?

The other question i had was about cupcake liners. I need to make cupcakes for a baby shower and I wanted to use the pastel blue and pink liners. However, they don't look blue or pink coming out of the oven. Do you use a specific brand that looks good after it has been baked?

Thank you so much for all your help.
Dina's sugar shack

Try looking at this video

, she shows two ways to use the 1M tip, both of which I use. To do the basic swirl, start at the outside and work your way in. Stop in the centre, then do another smaller swirl on top, from out to in.
Do you mean your cupcakes are wider than they are tall? Perhaps that's why they look off-proportion to you when you ice them. There isn't a "rule" that says the icing has to go all the way to the edge of the cupcake...maybe try doing a smaller swirl on your wide cupcakes.
As for the liners, you need to look for greaseproof ones - these will keep their colour when baked. I get them from here www.cakecraftworld.co.uk and www.cakeymakey.co.uk, they deliver outside of the UK but I'm not sure they deliver to Canada. But this is the kind to look for, greaseproof.

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 4

thank you so much for your reply. You have been very helpfull

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 4

Also, lots of people buy fancy cupcake liners, all kinds and patterns, on-line or from catalogues, and just put the baked cupcakes (in ordinary liners) inside the fancy ones once they're cool. The fancy ones make for very nice presentation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%