Carved Cakes - How Do You Figure Out Servings? Please Help!!

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 10:41am by costumeczar

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 7

I have to make 3 pumpkins to feed 50 people for sunday... i have no idea how to figure this out - it seems like i'd need at least 3 rounds to get a good height but then that means at least 9 batches of batter? for 50 people? 10" or is 8" enough?

and how the heck do you cut them? cardboard in the middle then separate in half to cut?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!!! thanks sooo much

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 7

The 8 inch rounds stacked 3 high to make 3 pumpkins should be enough....10 inches are huge...Or better yet...See if you can't find the Wilton dimensions or Williams Sonoma 3D pumpkin cakepan...makes a nice 3D pumpkin.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 7

I just did a blog entry on how I made a pumpkin cake...I think that if you used the same sizes I did you'd be fine, it was two 9" and two 10" rounds. (I don't ahve the serving charts in front of me right now, but I think that would be enough for 50.) http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2010/10/pumpkin-cake-how-to.html

costumeczar Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:53am
post #4 of 7

Oops, sorry I misread your post. Kiddiekakes is right, the 8" ones should be big enough if you do three of them.

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:11am
post #5 of 7

the way i figure it out is I add up the serving for the cakes im using and deduct 10% for what is being discarded. So i need to feed 50 I use enough cake to feed apx. 60 and deduct 10% 60-6= 54 so I have a little room for error. So make your pumpkins with the size pans that will yield enough cake for 60. That is what I would do. HTH

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:08am
post #6 of 7

thanks everybody, you were a great help.

Kiddiekakes - that pumpkin pan looks great, but unfortunately not enough time

costumeczar - thanks the tutorial was great, loved the end result! so if i did 3 layers, would you put the board under the top two? or if not board, then how would you cut it to serve?

thanks again all icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 10:41am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady11215

thanks everybody, you were a great help.

Kiddiekakes - that pumpkin pan looks great, but unfortunately not enough time

costumeczar - thanks the tutorial was great, loved the end result! so if i did 3 layers, would you put the board under the top two? or if not board, then how would you cut it to serve?

thanks again all icon_smile.gif

Personally, for three layers I wouldn't even bother putting a board or dowelling. There are plenty of three-layered cakes that are done without any kind of support, so that isn't such a concern. I'd just stack them and carve away!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%