To Refrigerate Or Not Refrigerate, That Is The Question!!!

Decorating By kisamarie Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 2:35pm by ladyonzlake

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 18

I am seeing such mixed emotions on this subject, but I really need to know a consensus on this topic! I am making a cake for Saturday for my babys first birthday, and I dont want to tempt fate... I am making a 3 tier Chocolate cake, using Buttercream dream buttercream with Banana Pastry filling, and covering it with Rhondas MMF. DO I REFRIGERATE THIS AT ANY POINT! IF SO WHICH STEPS? Help me Cake Divas, your my only hope!

17 replies
Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 18

I freeze directly from the oven, then never cold again. But that's JUST me... best of luck icon_smile.gif Happy Birthday to your sweetie!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 18

You will still get mixed replies to your post! Some people do, some people don't, I personally don't refridgerate since I believe cakes don't need it, and if I did refridgerate I'm not sure I could be bothered to wait until it comes to room temp to decorate. UNLESS you have a perishable filling or other ingredient on it/in it, I wouldn't bother chilling at all.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 18

I'm also curious about this. I just bought for the first time a pre-made strawberry filling pastry sleeve. I usually make my own. Does anybody else use these? Should I refridge. a cake with this in it.

CocoaBlondie Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 18

, using Buttercream dream buttercream with Banana Pastry filling, and covering it with Rhondas MMF. DO I REFRIGERATE THIS AT ANY POINT! IF SO WHICH STEPS? Help me Cake Divas, your my only hope![/quote]

Everytime I use buttercream dream & refridge. I get weird issues.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 18

I'm with Dayti, if you have perishable element to your cake, i.e. some type of filling, then you need to refrigerate otherwise there isn't any reason that it should be refrigerated. The only other reason I can see is if its hot out and your a/c is broken dates changed and now it needs to keep longer.

If you do have to refrigerate just remember to allow time for it to come back to room temperature and just be prepared for some condensation.

I'm not a cake diva, but hopefully its still alright that I responded

kisamarie Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaBlondie

I'm also curious about this. I just bought for the first time a pre-made strawberry filling pastry sleeve. I usually make my own. Does anybody else use these? Should I refridge. a cake with this in it.

I bought the pastry sleeve of the banana filling and they said that it does not need to be refrigerated because it contains preservatives....

I am more concerned about whether the buttercream will stand up better if refrigerated, in my practice cake the filling bulged and the fondant looked awful after refrigerating. Do I need to add more PS to my buttercream to make it crust better maybe?

kisamarie Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

I'm not a cake diva, but hopefully its still alright that I responded

Sorry Matt, I didnt mean to generalize! Thank you very much for your input, its greatly appreciated!

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 18

Bulging is a different problem than refrigeration. Check out page 5 of this thread http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=608252&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=60

CocoaBlondie Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 18

Thanks for the info on the pastry filling. I'm not sure about the PS for the BC dream. Last time I used it I had issues with condensation in the BC & yes it bulged & had air pockets. I had everything cake wise & filling set out for the approp. time. So I don't think it was a moisture issue there. It's everytime I use BC dream.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 18

I always refridgerate, but I am not familiar with the BC Dream or the pastry fillings discussed. But, I also happen to have an extra fridge in my garage just for cakes and because I have a regular 40 hr/wk job, I often have to make some orders 2 or 3 days in advance and I worry about letting the cakes just sit around. Also, my fridge is kinda like a security measure for me, it keeps my husband and kids from opening up the cake box to take a peek and having an accident or orders getting bumped into etc... Another thing too, is that I LOVE my cake cold so I just assume that everyone else does too,lol. When my cakes are picked up though I always tell the customers they do not have to refridgerate(unless there's something perishable about the cake)
Dayti, is right, chilling a cake is alot about preference so I guess you can expect mixed replies!

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 18

I refrigerate all the time and 99% of my cakes are fondant, but I use all natural products make all my own icing and fillings using butter and eggs and milk, so i find that if these ingredients need to be in the fridge before i use them then they should be in there after. I also find that a cake with a butter icing firms up like butter does in the fridge and is perfect for transporting. Fondant does sweat out of the fridge due to condensation but if you leave it alone it dries and is back to normal. HTH

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:00am
post #13 of 18

I can't seem to find the answers I need regarding refrigeration either!......
Swiss Meringue buttercream - fridge or not?? since it has egg white??? Then again, so does Royal Icing?....

kisamarie Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:46am
post #14 of 18

Well I think I am going to leave them out, I opened two windows and its going to be 39 degrees tonight, so........ The buttercream dream is setting up beautifully so far and my dam is holding. Im a little peeved that I put the stupid banana filling on then I tasted it after and I hate it, it tastes nothing like bananas, isnt that just perfect! Hopefully the cake will be so pretty nobody will notice! FAT CHANCE

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:06pm
post #15 of 18

I'm always curious on when folks decided that cakes were perishable and needed to be refrigerated? Never in my life did we ever put a cake (or bread, or donuts, or brownies or any other baked goods) in the refrigerator.

Perishable fillings .... yes, of course, refrigerate.

regular cake with icing? Nope. never.

By the way, I always use the sleeve filling specifically because they do no require refrigeration.

see pastrylady's post on this thread re: Cooks Illustrated on refrigerating cakes (page 2 of the thread): http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=608252&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cooks&&start=15

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:19pm
post #16 of 18

when I worked for a large grocery chain bakery, we never refridgerated anything either, but then again the 5 gallon tub of BC had a shelf life of 30 days and the cakes themselves were good for 21 days, lol. But I think that cr8zchpr is right that if something is being used that came from the fridge before than it should stay in the fridge afterwards... I actually had a customer who left her pudding filled cake out and ate off it for a week afterwards, by day 7 the cake was completely spoiled, Luckily she didn't get sick and laughed about it later, ever since that episode, I always tell my customers to refridgerate the leftovers that have perishable ingredients.

CocoaBlondie Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:55pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm always curious on when folks decided that cakes were perishable and needed to be refrigerated? Never in my life did we ever put a cake (or bread, or donuts, or brownies or any other baked goods) in the refrigerator.

Perishable fillings .... yes, of course, refrigerate.

regular cake with icing? Nope. never.

By the way, I always use the sleeve filling specifically because they do no require refrigeration.

see pastrylady's post on this thread re: Cooks Illustrated on refrigerating cakes (page 2 of the thread): http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=608252&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cooks&&start=15

Perishable fillings...meaning if I mix a little whipped cream with my pastry sleeve?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:35pm
post #18 of 18

I use IMBC and fondant and refrigerate but recently have had problems with my RI piping and stencils running due to the condensation...it doesn't always happen...depends on the moisture and warmth of the day.

I'm considering not refrigerating but I'm concerned about transporting 3-4 tiers stacked at room temp. I use SPS unless it's a topsy turvy cake. Any advice on this?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%