Need Grand Opening Party Ideas!

Business By Kima920 Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 5:07pm by Kima920

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 18

HI All!

I am planning the grand opening party for my shop. We have been opening for almost 2 weeks but we never did a grand opening party to let the public know we are open and the shop has changed ownership. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do for the grand opening on a budget. Thanks.

17 replies
adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 18

are you doing it at night or during the day? My first thought was fun music in the background, some samples, put out business cards, maybe a screen display of your cakes, some cake dummies.

Kima920 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 18

It will be probably be after hours around 7pm. We are planning on making some dummy cakes to display in the shop. We will have tables and chairs next week. I want to make a great impact since we are unique for the area.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 18

Does your city have a Chamber of Commerce? Ours does and when a new business opens they have a grand opening and invite all the member businesses to come.

Not really help with ideas, but just another idea to get your business some exposure.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 18

My local news station announces when new businesses open, maybe you could invite yours? What if you just happened to plan the party at ummm...6pm when the news is on?

You could offer a special for a week, $10.00 off orders of $__blank__ or more, or free 6 pack of cupcakes with an order of $_blank_ or more. Something like that may help bring in new faces to see whats going on and give you a try. Everyone loves a deal. Best of luck!

Kima920 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 18

I was definitely thinking inviting some of the businesses to the opening including the newspaper and television stations.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 18

sounds like you pretty much have your bases covered icon_smile.gif

Kima920 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 18

Yeah some what... I don't know what I should put like just cupcakes or some others that I do.. I guess that is where I am stuck and maybe decorating it differently for the event.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:16am
post #9 of 18

Also partner with a charity.....

Bring in (#) cans of food for the food bank, get a cupcake.
Write a $10 check to the Food Bank and be entered into a raffle for a _____ (cake).

That charity link gets THEM advertising for you and sometimes can get the media in too.

Kima920 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:28am
post #10 of 18

johnson6ofus,
thanks! That is a great idea! Never thought of that.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:08am
post #11 of 18

your welcome....

Just pick a charity carefully, hopefully local to your town.

A "donation" also helps slow the gimme/grab although I do believe samples are a big part of it. Also, the donation aspect can late a few days to generate participation. Also, the charity may even send a plaque, or certainly a thank you letter that can be framed to start your part of "community" basis and generate positive word of mouth.

GOOD LUCK!

Kima920 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:59am
post #12 of 18

So with the help of some friends I have finally figured out what I want to do for the grand opening party of my shop. I am going with a candy land theme and my assistant will be doing face painting for the kiddies. We will also be inviting some local businesses and the media. We will have music, games and a raffle. I will be doing a mini buffet table and some mini cupcakes as well as some party trays. I am getting really excited about this. Oh and I have a cupcake pinata that I will have hanging in the shop as well.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:20am
post #13 of 18

I have always had a desire to have a bakery. I have this cool idea. At Christmas time (aren't we almost there?) Have a Christmas tree decorated with lights and cookies. The cookies would be hung with bright ribbons and all the little kids would get a free cookie off the tree.

Hey, a girl can dream, can't she!

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:35pm
post #14 of 18

How did your opening go?

Kima920 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:52am
post #15 of 18

Hey Minstrelmiss,
The grand opening is scheduled for December 4th. I am so excited because I am in the local paper here for vending at a fashion show on Sunday! So I will be contacting them this week to cover the story of the grand opening. I will be posting pictures of the dessert buffet I am doing next week. I will keep you guys posted.
Kima

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:19am
post #16 of 18

Good luck to you!!!!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:36am
post #17 of 18

I use hat boxes many times for the open houses I cater...I use colored tissue and have the food "cascade" out of the box (kind of like the boxes are "bursting" with food...it works really well for the homemade caramels I have wrapped in colored foils...One thing to remember is to always have different levels of food...nothing is more boring than food that is lined up on a flat table...it does not show the creative side of you and all that you can do differently from others when it looks like an 'ordinary open house'. I would have cake plates all over the place...makes it festive! Hope that helps!

Kima920 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 5:07pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks! I have to change the date with the holiday since I am still out of state until this afternoon. I want to have enough time to make sure everything looks nice. So I will be taking takes of pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%