White Fondant Is Not My Friend...help!

Decorating By ThePurpleKupcakebyKrystle Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 1:16pm by ThePurpleKupcakebyKrystle

ThePurpleKupcakebyKrystle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleKupcakebyKrystle Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:28am
post #1 of 9

I've been doing this for about a year but I still consider myself a "rookie", I learn as I go. I am having an issue with white fondant and I've come to this conclusion: White fondant does not like me!

I've cleaned my area, wiped down EVERYTHING and for some reason tiny microscopic specs show up on the fondant, sometimes it even looks like tinnie tiny hairs ::gross::! I can't and wont allow that, I'm constantly throwing out balls of white fondant because I see the specs and it bothers me so I KNOW it will bother the customers. I don't know what do to and I need someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong. Emergency....My Hello Kitty's have freckles....Help!

icon_eek.gif

8 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:26am
post #2 of 9

I don't have the problems consistently that you are having. However, one time my white fondant had small specks of "freckles" that I was able to remove by taking a small flattened piece of white fondant and gently rubbing it over the problem area. The "freckles" disappeared. HTH!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 5:12am
post #3 of 9

I get this too if I use a kitchen towel rather than a paper towel to dry my hands. It seems to be the lint from the fabric to me. I also roll my clothes with a lint roller before I start to minimize the falling particles. Also, keep your work area VERY CLEAN!!!! (with paper towels of course) HTH

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 6:15am
post #4 of 9

I had this happen once. I couldn't figure it out. I triple clean my counter top before rolling out fondant always! I kept getting little specks on the fondant. I finally figured out that it was from my beloved wooden rolling pin (it was my moms and probably 40 years old).

The exterior was in pristine condition, but I realized it was where the handle met the rolling part, the interior was beginning to wear away. I had to retire it. Now it just take it out on occasion, relive a few wonderful memories of my dear sweet mom baking with me in the kitchen, and place it back in the drawer.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 9:09am
post #5 of 9

try cleaning the surface with a bit of fondant you don't plan on using, as you've noticed it picks up little bits and pieces really well!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 10:16am
post #6 of 9

i take a small piece of scrap, and smoosh it all over my (already cleaned ) benches, and rolling pin. Wear White cotton , not dark colors. Use a lint roller first. those little tiny hairs Bug the crap outa me, so i try and take every precaution to prevent em! I also, use just kitchen roll for wiping benches and drying my hands instead of tea towels

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 10:33am
post #7 of 9

You're not alone, I have this problem too and it REALLY bugs me as well. I find it's nowhere near as bad when I wear a white shirt though, & I've learned NEVER to wear anything black or dark when using WHITE fondant! Will definitely try wiping down surfaces with a ball of fondant as suggested by others!

Scotch__Mist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scotch__Mist Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 9

I thought this was just me! I've tried switching to wearing light colours but haven't tried rubbing the workstation with a ball of fondant. Thanks!

ThePurpleKupcakebyKrystle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleKupcakebyKrystle Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks guys, I will take all of your suggestions into consideration =D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%