Do I Need A Special License To Sell Cake Decorations Only?

Business By marimonte Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 3:20pm by Bluehue

marimonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marimonte Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 4

Hi! I'm a new member at (Joined today! Yay!) and I'm planning to start a small home-run business that sells products for decorating cakes. I mainly want to sell plastic toppers and sprinkles.

Aside from getting a business license... Do I also need to get a special license that allows me to sell products as mentioned above? I'm especially curious to know if I would need one for plastic toppers-- though not for consumption -- but will be in contact with food (e.g., cake). In addition, with that in mind, would I need my home checked by a health inspector?

Thanks so much for your time! And help to answer this question will surely be appreciated! icon_smile.gif


3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 4

You'll need to contact your local county and/or state department of health (depending on where you are located) as well as your municipality to determine licensing, zoning, and sales tax requirements. Don't forget to take out liability insurance.

You're probably OK selling plastic toppers that are clearly not for human consumption, but items like sprinkles which are edible might be an issue.

sweetonyouzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetonyouzz Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 4

I am pretty sure you do not need health dept certification (I was told I could sell artificial cakes without it right by the health dept, they also said I could sell my wired gumpaste items)

Check however with your local city hall. In my area for example, any home-based biz has to have a license. If I sell less than 5000 a year the license is free, if it is over I pay about 100 a year.

One more thing is the tax. It probably is differant in your area but in mine you have to be registered for pst and gst.

If you want a name you also have to register it but in the process no one can use it so this is in your favor.

These are very easy steps to make sure you are legal...good luck with your new biz!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 4

It varies from country to country - state to state - i wouldn't have a clue as i don't know on what part of this planet you live... icon_confused.gif

Whee you live depends on who you would go to for answers...


Quote by @%username% on %date%