How To Stack A Rectangular 4 Tier Cake Using Pillars

Decorating By jenismom Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 1:08am by CWR41

jenismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenismom Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 4

I have a cake order for a 4 tier cake. Each tier will be 9x13 in the shape of a letter. I want to use the wilton pillars that go down through the cake so each letter can be seen. Since wilton only sells the square plates to attach the pillars to how can I do this and make sure it is stable? I'm a fraid that if I just set the cake on top of the pillars without some kind of attachment it won't be stable. Can anyone help?

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 4

You can use the square plates. It's okay if the plates are smaller than your cake as long as your cake is on its own board that will support the portion(s) that might overhang. (you might consider covering the boards with something nice, if the boards will show.)

The biggest concern here, is that if the cakes are only 2" tall layers--the push-in pillars won't be inserted into enough cake to help with supporting everything that's above. You may need to consider making the 9x13s 4" tall. HTH.

jenismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenismom Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:42am
post #3 of 4

Thanks The cakes will be 4" tall so that won't be a problem. Maybe if I use a 9" square plates and use covered masonite boards that would work. Thanks.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:08am
post #4 of 4

Perfect! I hope all of your letters have cake where each pillar will go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%