Red Velvet Crumbs---Ugh!!

Decorating By cakesmart Updated 3 Nov 2010 , 9:49pm by cakesmart

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 5

Fellow Decorators....I'm hoping one of you very talented decorators have a tip for minimizing red velvet crumbs. I've used Baker's Joy, Bake-Ease, and Pam (for baking). The cake comes out of the pan with no problem. While crumb coating, I get lots of red crumbs in the cream cheese frosting. Sometimes the crumbs are slightly visible (to me) after putting on a second coat. Any suggestions?

4 replies
turtletb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtletb Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 5

you could cover it with fondant or put the iced cake in the fridge to get hard over night and then put a thick coat on the cold first layer. It has worked for me in the past.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 5

Avoid the back and forth motion, especially when crumb coating. That just pulls the crumbs up off the cake. Always keep icing between the spatula and the cake. If you get crumbs on the spatula wipe it off. Is your icing thin enough? Too thick icing will pull at crumbs too.

I'd also consider getting the cake icer tip. Since it puts a nice layer of icing on and is easy to smooth out.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 5

Do it with a cake icer tip. You won't ever disturb crumbs in any cake.

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 5

I do have the cake icer tip...didn't think of that. Guess it was a DUH moment. Thanks for this suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%