Black Fondant

Decorating By bluejeannes Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 6:23pm by bluejeannes

bluejeannes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluejeannes Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 10

How can I make black fondant that won't crumble and won't take 3 bottles of colour? Would starting with a chocolate fondant work? Any tips?

9 replies
CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 10

I know here on. CC there is a recipe for black fondant. Also, when I make my icing, I use powder food color so I don't need to use a lot of the gel ones. I found the powder food coloring to be more concentrate. I also start with chocolate in my buttercream and it gets jet black. I am planning to do the same technique with the fondant. The chocolate fondant first may be the key. I try before just with the food coloring and white fondant and it was not good. Very crumblely. Maybe someone else wil have a better idea. icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 10

i buy it! but yes, starting with chocolate fondant does make it a lot easier. also good colours, like americolor rather tan wilton!
xx

bluejeannes Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 10

CakeDiva - is the powdered form from Americolor?
Brincess_b - lol, I might end up doing that!

Acjohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acjohnson Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 10

I have yet to find a great recipe to make black. I started buying Duff black and red fondant.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 10

Are you making your own fondant? Or are you coloring fondant? And this is fondant not MMF correct? If so, then I use blue and green quality gel colors and get it muddy looking then add black. I have found over the years if I want a strongly color such as black, red, green, blue etc. I prefer to buy precolored Satin Ice for any large amount as I really prefer less work.

Remember if you use chocolate fondant - chocolate is the taste you get. I find vanilla more adaptable for various cake recipes. HTH

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 10

I use JAYDE's true black mmf on cc. I have had great luck with it and it colors nicely. I am a hobby baker and only have wilton colors near me. I didn't have any trouble making black for my soccer ball cake. It starts with chocolate chips to give it the brown color making it easier to color black. It is as simple as making mmf. Good luck!!

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeannes

CakeDiva - is the powdered form from Americolor?
Brincess_b - lol, I might end up doing that!

I don't know if Americolor has powder food color. The one I buy is by CK Products. thumbs_up.gif

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 10

Use super black from americolor and you don't need much I have done it many times.

bluejeannes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

Are you making your own fondant? Or are you coloring fondant? And this is fondant not MMF correct? If so, then I use blue and green quality gel colors and get it muddy looking then add black. I have found over the years if I want a strongly color such as black, red, green, blue etc. I prefer to buy precolored for any large amount as I really prefer less work.

Remember if you use chocolate fondant - chocolate is the taste you get. I find vanilla more adaptable for various cake recipes. HTH

oops, I guess I should have put mmf. And, yes, Im making it (buy it is sooo expensive!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%