Best Buttercream Recipe??

Decorating By icingonthecupcake Updated 13 Sep 2005 , 5:15am by kalikw

icingonthecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingonthecupcake Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 4:11am
post #1 of 27

I just finished the Wilton I baking class and never could master the buttercream recipe. I originally was making the Whimsical Bakehouse buttercream recipe because I liked the taste (just like whipped cream) but I was not getting the buttercream so it was nice and smooth and not see through. I am wondering what have you found to be a good recipe for buttercream, but is not too sweet but gives a good icing coat like I need. Thanks in advance. icon_biggrin.gif

26 replies
sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 4:56am
post #2 of 27

Everyone here is going to tell you to try Sylvia Weinstock's buttercream. I havn't tried it yet.... I use my own recipe but it is similar to Wilton's. I just use a lot more butter flavoring than vanilla and whip it for almost 5 minutes so that its fluffier instead of thick and heavy. I've heard lots of complaints about "crisco" frosting, but everyone raves about mine and they have no idea its crisco and not butter! thumbs_up.gif

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 5:13am
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

Everyone here is going to tell you to try Sylvia Weinstock's buttercream

Have never heard of her sharing her recipe, as that is all she does...BTCM...Is her recipe posted on this forum?

I use meringue buttercream, as it holds well...I use it mostly to fill my cakes, as I do not make btcm cakes...It does not crust, in case that is something you are looking for.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 5:19am
post #4 of 27

Boy, I hope I didn't post the wrong person's name! icon_redface.gif
It was a person who used half butter and half crisco and everyone raved about it on this site. I looked in my saved recipes on my computer but only found Sylvia's, which is only butter.

Please forgive my mis-information....I know someone will correct me! Just give 'em time! icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 5:22am
post #5 of 27

SunLover00, I'm a Crisco girl too. I've never had a complaint! Someone on here will say it doesn't suit the "sophosticated palette," so I must live in an area of dumb palette's. As a matter of fact, I can't even rightly, spel palette now can I. Garsh Durn. I'm getting silly now, really must go to bed, need to make many fondant loop bows tomorrow.
Anyway, I love the Crisco, conf. sugar, butter FLAVOR, vanilla, and a little water! Works great!

meso_shy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meso_shy Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 27

There is a recipe that asks for Dreamwhip powder and it is rated at a 5 star but where do you get this powder?? I even tried online and it leads me to more recipes or actual whips!!icon_smile.gif Please help I have my first wedding cake in October and they want a fluffy frosting!

Sangria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangria Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlover00

Boy, I hope I didn't post the wrong person's name! icon_redface.gif
It was a person who used half butter and half crisco and everyone raved about it on this site. I looked in my saved recipes on my computer but only found Sylvia's, which is only butter.

Please forgive my mis-information....I know someone will correct me! Just give 'em time! icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

Would you mind sharing Sylvia's recipe? I just love her. Well, besides the glasses. icon_lol.gif

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 27

I think you were thinking of Cali4dawn's buttercream. Just do a search for her in the forums with buttercream and you should be able to find her recipe.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 27

I have never had a complaint about my frosting and I use half butter and half crisco with almond flavor. I also had a wedding function hall call me becuuase they loved the taste of it. 1 cup of each to 2 pounds of cf sugar.
Give it a whirl. As for Dream whip most stores carry it in the pudding section. I use it but not in conjunction with BC
Happy Frosting
Paula

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 12:09am
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by meso_shy

There is a recipe that asks for Dreamwhip powder and it is rated at a 5 star but where do you get this powder?? I even tried online and it leads me to more recipes or actual whips!!icon_smile.gif Please help I have my first wedding cake in October and they want a fluffy frosting!

You get Dream Whip powder in the jello aisle.... as I remember, it's either in a red or blue box with two packets in it.

Debbi

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 12:30am
post #11 of 27

I use two frosting one is from Wilton and has no butter and use whip cream in it. It is good but does not crust you can probably add merigue. The down fall of this is that it will be good for a week or two becuase it has dairy in it.

The next one I love, you can smooth it really easy the viva towel method and you can make a lot and it will store for months.

here it is, give it a try you have nothing to lose by trying new frosting.

3 cups shortening
2 lbs powder sugar
1/4 water (adjust for borders, etc)
2 tsp flavoring (tsp of butter and tsp of almond, or just butter or you can
try the lorriann oils)

cream shortening, then add sugar - cream. then add water and flavoring

link for lorran oils, this link will tell you how much to add. Thier prices are pretty good.

http://www.cakedecorators.com/lorann.html

http://www.lorannoils.com/

ddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddog Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 12:50am
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

SunLover00, I'm a Crisco girl too. I've never had a complaint! Someone on here will say it doesn't suit the "sophosticated palette," so I must live in an area of dumb palette's. As a matter of fact, I can't even rightly, spel palette now can I. Garsh Durn

YOU HAVE ME ROLLING ON THE FLOOR!!!!!
Thanks for the good laugh! This "Crisco girl" really likes your post. Guess down here in louisiana there ain't much sophistication either!!
It is very nice to hear other people on this site also like the crisco recipe. All these "crisco bashers" have had me doubting myself a time or two. Friends and family have reassured me by saying if I ever even attempted to change my recipie they would kill me.[/quote]

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 4:03am
post #13 of 27

I also use a Crisco recipe and those in Missouri love it. I have never had a complaint and am often told that it is not as sweet or greasy as the store's icing. Everyone loves it. I can share my recipe with you.
2 lbs confect. sugar, 1 1/3 cup crisco, 1/2 cup of water with flavoring added to water. I used clear vanilla and a couple of drops of almond extract. Everyone I have made this for for the last 14 years has loved it.. I guess Missouri has no taste either.

Vicky, MO

icingonthecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingonthecupcake Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 4:05am
post #14 of 27

Thanks for all of the help. I know how to make the wilton recipe but I would also like my buttercream to taste as good as it looks. I will try all of these recipes & see what works out for me . Thanks so much icon_biggrin.gif

vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 12:12pm
post #15 of 27

Hello all, I read all the information and noticed that people say to add flavoring to the water. Flavoring? do you mean the almond extract or butter.... totally new at this and not sure if I should be attempting this.... I thought I would do this for fun but I think it's starting to sound like work. LOL Where would I get this flavoring?

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 12:41pm
post #16 of 27

I too, am an all Crisco girl. I began using that recipe mostly so I could get the 'snow white' color instead of the buttery color. I was also doubting myself for a while after reading all the negative comments about all Crisco buttercream recipes. But like ddog, my 'customers' (friends/family) have all said they love my icing so I will not change it unless someone specifically asks for a different kind. I'll stick with what I know works. My recipe is: 2 cups Crisco (I use store brand as it seems to smooth better when icing) 2 lb bag powdered sugar, 1/2 cup minus one Tablespoon water, 1 tsp vanilla extract (can use clear vanilla for the perfect snow white color). It's quick and easy. I also use this recipe with marshmallow fluff and a couple tablespoons of milk added (minus about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the Crisco) for whoopee pie filling. Fluffy and Yummy!

Someone bought me a cake from a 'real' bakery a few years ago and I did not like the frosting at all. It was a traditional buttercream. # 1, it was yellowish and #2, the flavor was terrible. At least I thought so anyway. But everyone has different tastes. You just have to figure out what your customers like best and adapt for them.

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 1:02pm
post #17 of 27

For everyone who was looking for Sylvia Weinstock's buttercream recipe, it was published in her book "Sweet Celebrations: The Art of Decorating Beautiful Cakes". It's pretty involved & a little long to post. If you would like the recipe PM me and I'll send it to you. I personally haven't tried making it yet because I LOVE the recipe I use. It's Cali4dawn's FBCT icing recipe. I just thin it out a bit for icing my cakes. I used to be strictly a crisco girl before I found this absolute winner! If you use Land-o-lakes butter this recipe comes out white & takes color just like crisco recipes. thumbs_up.gif

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 1:17pm
post #18 of 27

I haven't tried this... but came across it the other day on this site.. so wanted to let people know who were looking for it that it is right here in the CC recipe section! icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1987-0-Sylvia-Weinstocks-Buttercream-Icing.html

HTH!

vie Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 1:37pm
post #19 of 27

Hello Rvallee,
I just wrote down your recipe and I have a very dumb question. Do I add all ingredients and mix or certain ones at a time and mix?

Thanks from totally new at this.......

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 1:45pm
post #20 of 27

Here's what i use:

2 lbs sifted powdered sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, 1 cup Crisco (whip for at least 5 minutes before adding other ingredients
2 tsp vanilla
1.5 tsp butter flavoring
4-6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

This receipe turns out fluffy, smooth and holds it's consistency well for decorating. Have had many compliments on this frosting! HTH

Jen icon_smile.gif

vie Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 1:52pm
post #21 of 27

Jen,
Wow that was fast.... thank you gonna try it right now with my 3 year old son.

Let you know how it turns out.

Sylvie

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 1:59pm
post #22 of 27

When I make this recipe, I add the flavoring first - after the butter/crisco has been whipped. Then powdered sugar about a cup at a time, steadily - and mixing in the cream after every few cups of sugar. Enjoy!

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 2:30pm
post #23 of 27

Vie,
It may be fun but it is a lot of work and takes a lot of time, especially to learn. The more practice, the better you get. I buy my flavorings from grocery stores and also buy Wilton's flavorings. I am going to start buying from loriann as I have heard they are the best. To decide on the flavoring you like, you need to experiment with each and with combinations. Myself, I use clear vanilla extract and a couple of drops of almond. I don't like the butter flavoring. You just need to experiment. Good luck.
Vicky, MO

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 6:04pm
post #24 of 27

4bugz,

You're using 1/2 the crisco and double the cream that most folks are using. I'm sure yours tastes better. Heavy cream makes a WORLD of difference.

I really, really, really dislike the butter flavoring. I use like 2 drops of it. Have you ever tried your recipe with butter flavored crisco?

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 12:27am
post #25 of 27

tastycakes you had me laughing too.. Love your sense of humor. icon_smile.gif
Well I don't know if my palette is sophicated or not but I have never met a frosting that I didn't like..LOL..
icon_smile.gif Liz

faded_dress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faded_dress Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 6:51pm
post #26 of 27

Here's my favorite recipe (I am also a Crisco girl. You can tell just by looking at me haha). I have gotten many compliments on it, and its so easy to make!

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup water
2 lbs confectionary sugar (thats about 6 cups)
1 tsp clear vanilla

Mix shortening, butter and water in a large bowl. Add sugar and
beat until smooth and creamy. You can do this gradually if you prefer. Add vanilla and more water if you need it to make it the right consistency.

kalikw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalikw Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 5:15am
post #27 of 27

I have used the Sylvia's Weinstock's recipe a few times, it is quite easy and not very involved. The buttercream has a nice consistency to it and it smooths and pipes real well. It is pretty stable even in warm weather, even though I keep the cakes cool, it is still mostly butter after all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%