I Need Help Fast! Bowling Ball Cake Problem

Decorating By Rethy Updated 3 Nov 2010 , 3:24pm by imagenthatnj

Rethy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rethy Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 11:40am
post #1 of 6

I am making a bowling ball cake for my grandson. My daughter wants it bigger to feed more. So I made it life size. It is wanting to crush the bottom of the ball! I am afraid it is starting to fall apart. One area looked like it was splitting.Will the fondant hold it in place? I don't want to serve someone crumbs! LOL! Do you use dowel rods and a small cardboard? I need to remake this cake and fast! Party is next Sat! HELP!!!!!

5 replies
susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 6

I would definitely use a board and supports... especially since it is life size. I'd also use a firm cake. I find when cakes start to fall apart, it just gets worse... sorry!

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 6

I had to bake another one because my first one fell apart. I would recommend that you go ahead and bake another one. Allow the cakes to cool on the cooling rack, crumb coat, wrap in plastic wrap, then put back into the pan and put them in the freezer until you are ready to cover with the fondant. That' what I did and it helped a lot. HTH

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 6

You could always use dowels - that will help support the top of the ball.
Or to save yourself the thought of it falling apart again - just make it to a size you are comfortable with - and make bowling ball cupcakes to serve more icon_wink.gif
Or take the top of the ball and put it on top of a sheet cake! HTH icon_biggrin.gif

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 6

A lot of sphere cakes are made by putting a 1/2 styrofoam ball on the bottom and cake on the top. That way the bottom won't squish and will retain it's shape. I don't know if that will work for you, but I thought I'd mention it in case you'd never seen that before.

Good luck!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 6

As mandysue said, most big sphere cakes are made with a half styrofoam on bottom, with the top usually carved.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%