Lettering On Cakes - Paint Or Fondants?

Decorating By ImMissWorld Updated 3 Nov 2010 , 9:00am by Coral3

ImMissWorld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ImMissWorld Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a cake like a massive Caburys Twirl. Iv never 'painted' on acake and was unsure wither or not to use yellow fondant or paint on food colouring.
I read that powder foodcolpiring an vodka/gin is the best way to go about painting on fondant. But I don't know if I could use yellow on dark purple?

Any help would be appreciate icon_smile.gif

8 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 9

Personally, I would cut out the lettering using yellow fondant instead of painting on the letters. Especially since you are painting on a dark colour like purple, I would be afraid of the colours bleeding. Also, if you make a mistake painting it's much harder to correct where as with fondant lettering you should be able to peel it off with little damage.
That is the correct technique though, using vodka to mix with the colouring. You can also use vanilla extract.

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 9

Lemon extract is very good to paint with, since it has a higher alcohol percentage than vodka.

blissfulbaker Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 9

Lemon extract is very good to paint with, since it has a higher alcohol percentage than vodka.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 9

As Cakes 22 stated, I'd use yellow fondant. I'd also add a bit of tylose for strength so the letters retain the shape and a tappit cutter. Clean and easy. HTH

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 9

id also cut out the letters - i just wont show up on the puple if you paint.
xx

ImMissWorld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ImMissWorld Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:19am
post #7 of 9

Thanks guys. Does light food colouring show up on dark fondant? There is some small font that I want to put on the cake and using fondant for that might be difficult...I'd need to use White, yellow and red on ameythst purple fondant. Do you know if this will work?

blissfulbaker Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:58am
post #8 of 9

ImMissWorld, light food coloring does not show up on dark fondant, you will need to cut out the letters with fondant or use royal icing and pipe the lettering on.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 9:00am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMissWorld

Thanks guys. Does light food colouring show up on dark fondant? There is some small font that I want to put on the cake and using fondant for that might be difficult...I'd need to use White, yellow and red on ameythst purple fondant. Do you know if this will work?

Assuming you'll be painting with gel food colour which is transparent (not opaque) then the dark purple will show through I would think. Have you considered piping some of the smaller text in royal icing using a fine tip?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%