Rolling Pin....which Brand Do You Use?

Decorating By hollynme2 Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 8:24pm by Kitagrl

hollynme2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollynme2 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 5

I am in the market for a new rolling pin and can't decide which one to purchase for rolling out fondant to cover cakes. Let me know which one you recommend! Thanks.

4 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 5

I use a 26" long, heavy silicone one piece rolling pin. Nothing sticks to it, and it is easy to clean (not that it hardly needs cleaning, since nothing sticks to it!) The brand is Staedter (I am in Europe). Being heavy makes it easier to roll out the fondant in my opinion. Before that I had used a smaller silicone one but it was rubbish, and left lines on the fondant while I was rolling.

Others use a new piece of PVC pipe from the hardware store with success.
I also like using regular wooden rolling pins, but they are illegal most places now so you'd probably better not buy one of those.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 5

I use a heavy aluminum rolling pin.

Here is the link to the one I have - I love it!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 5

I use this...

It's long, has a good weight to it (the reason I don't like PVC), ring guides fit it perfectly and nothing sticks to it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 5

How are wooden rolling pins illegal?! icon_confused.gif


I use a SilPin....its a silicone rolling pin with handles because I can't manage the ones that are just straight without handles for some reason. I also have a SilPin Jr which is perfect for those little designs so I don't need as much workspace if I'm working on small pieces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%