Non-Perishable Cream Cheese Frosting

Baking By lkwmickey Updated 31 Oct 2010 , 11:20pm by kimbordeaux

lkwmickey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkwmickey Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 6:50am
post #1 of 6

Hello. I have a request for a red velvet cake, which is normally frosted with cream cheese frosting, but I have a dilemma. The way the cake is going to be decorated is with fondant, does anyone have a recipe for shelf stable cream cheese frosting? The girl would really wants cream cheese frosting to be used with the cake. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Take care,
lkwmickey

5 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 7:55am
post #2 of 6

I use the decorators cream cheese frosting recipe from this site. Since this seems to be a common question, I've read here several times that because of the high sugar content in cream cheese frosting, it becomes shelf stable. I've made red velvet with cream cheese frosting wedding cakes and they hold up well without refrigeration. At least I've had no complaints yet!

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 6

Maybe instead of a traditional cream cheese/butter recipe you could use a shortening based buttercream recipe and add some cream cheese to it. You could have the flavor that she wants but with a lower ratio of c.c. to powdered sugar rendering it more stable.

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 6

I have used the decorators icing as well but here's another idea

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-696900.html
(Mod edited to fix broken link.)
icon_smile.gif

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 6

I'm not sure what recipes you guys are using for cream cheese frosting. Both the Wilton one and the Betty Crocker recipes do not require refrigeration. They do recommend putting the LEFTOVER frosting in the fridge, but that is true of most frostings. But once it's on the cake etc, it's good to go at room temp.

This is the Wilton Recipe. Requires no refrigeration (If their recipes require
refrideration it's always included in the instructions. I've used this one before myself under fondant.)

Cream Cheese Icing

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
8 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (about 2 lbs.)
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
Makes: About 5 1/2 cups of icing.
instructions:

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Cream-Cheese-Icing

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 6

I've often wondered about the safeness of buttercream because of the butter and milk I add to mine. Always been told that the sugar preserves it. Here is a link that explains how sugar preserves food. I guess according to this cream cheese would be safe if the sugar content was high.

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-do-salt-and-sugar-preserve-food.htm

~Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%