Mocha Cake With Tiramisu Filling

Baking By Misdawn Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 3:12am by Ellie1985

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:40am
post #1 of 12

Ok so I have a potential customer that has asked for a mocha flavor cake with tiramisu filling. I am planning to make a chocolate fudge cake and use strong brewed (cooled) coffee in place of some of the liquid. For the filling I plan to use SMBC with mascarpone cheese and cocoa powder sprinkled on top ( the UNTESTED theory being that if SMC can have cream cheese in it, then mascarpone cheese should work in the same manner.) So here comes my question.....everyone knows that you can't get a good tiramisu flavor without Kahlua or similar coffee liqeuer. So how would I incorporate the liqeuer?.....because I'm pretty certain that the SMBC is not gonna take the liqeuer and I need to be able to cook the alcohol out somehow don't I? icon_confused.gif

11 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 11:24am
post #2 of 12

There are coffee extracts that you can buy. Or you can dissolve a tablespoon of instant coffee in 2 tablespoons of boiling water.

I would test the recipe before offering it as product. Many dark chocolate cake recipes call for coffee in them, but the coffee flavor is not apparent when the final product is tasted.

My thought is that mocha works best when using a milk chocolate cake batter, because there's more contrast between the sweeter milk chocolate and the coffee.

Mascarpone is a bit softer than cream cheese (at least, the one I get at my cheese monger is), so watch your consistency.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 11:53am
post #3 of 12

Here is a tiramisu filling I've tried....its really good and easy icon_smile.gif

1 cup milk
1/4 cup instant coffee granules
1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
2 packages (3.4 ounces each) cheesecake instant pudding and pie filling

In a bowl, combine milk and instant coffee granules; stir until dissolved. Add whipped topping and pudding mix; whisk until smooth. Spread filling

This is REALLY good spread on brownies too thumbs_up.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 12

Why would you have to cook out the alcohol? Vanilla extract has 35% alcohol. Most liquers are around 20-25% with some topping above 40%. As mild a liqueur as Kahlua is, I wouldn't think it'd be in the high range.

I'm with playingwithsugar on the cake being a milder chocolate with the coffee flavor being more mocha-like

Misdawn Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 12

I assumed that the alcohol (20% by volume) needed to be cooked out since the cake will be served to children. I will definitely take your advice and use the milk chocolate cake.

Just had a thought....can you make a simple syrup with the liqeuer and brush the top of each cake layer with the syrup before putting the mascarpone filling on top? Would that work? and would it be a strong enough flavor?

Misdawn Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 12

anyone...?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 12

no one I know cooks out vanilla and it has more alcohol by volume.

your simple syrup idea would work and it would give it sufficient flavor as long as the mixture was strong enough (mild syrup= even milder flavor on cake...just make your solution strong enough to give you the results desired. a solution made with espresso would give you a great result without the use of alcohol(if the alcohol content is a concern.)

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 5:30pm
post #8 of 12

Hi, this is on c/c reicpes. You can adjust it the way you need it.http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7021/Tiramisu-filling hth i will look around for others on the internet

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 8:40am
post #9 of 12

The boiling point of food-grade alcohols is about 175 degrees F. We bake at, at least, 325 degrees F. I'm pretty sure the alcohol in the vanilla or kahlua will bake out of the cake before serving, and will be safe for children to eat.

But there are people in this world who have dietary restrictions, medical or religious, for not consuming any products that even contain an ingredient that has alcohol in it, even if it gets cooked out. Perhaps our OP is trying to please such a customer.

In that case, there are alcohol-free extracts available in gourmet stores and online.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:58am
post #10 of 12

Davinci makes Kahlua syrup with no alcohol.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:33am
post #11 of 12

I've had great success with a doctored mix recipe for mocha cake--I start w/white cake mix and add a small box of chocolate pudding. I dissolve 2-3 heaping Tbls of espresso powder in about a 1/4c of warm water and then mix that w/ 1/2c of milk. 3/4c of oil and 4 eggs round out the ingredients.

A rich moist cake w/a definate mocha flavor. I served a version of this w/mini choco chips at a reunion dinner. My sisters called it "chocolate crack" because it was so addicting.

Kristy

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:12am
post #12 of 12

Since this is for children I would keep it a mild coffee flavor. A lot of kids don't like the taste of coffee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%