I Think This Sounds Super Simple.....?!

Decorating By rkei Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 2:10am by Melvira

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 12

A small square cake from Michaels, the smallest I get get my hands on. Cover it with BC, add a border of rossets on the bottom. Is that to hard for me??????

11 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 12

Not sure what you are referring too... icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif Have you cake decorated before?

rkei Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 12

Yep, for about two years. Most have turned into Disasters, so I wan to try something really simple, and see if I can get a half decent cake.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 12

Ahhh..Gotcha Yah thumbs_up.gif ...Yeah then I would think it is really simple....

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 12

Ok, not sure if Michaels is something different where you live, but around here it's a craft store and doesn't sell cake. Is there something specific you're having trouble with? I bet we could talk ya through it! thumbs_up.gif

rkei Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 12

Melvira,

Yeah, Michaels is the craft store I'm talking about. And no, they do not sell cake. I was talking about the cake PAN. icon_smile.gif The michaels here has s ginormous (sp) cake decorating isle. icon_smile.gif

And yep, I would appreciate any advice!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 11:07pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Is there something specific you're having trouble with? I bet we could talk ya through it! thumbs_up.gif

Ditto.

I'm a newbie at cake decorating so I remember all those pesky little details that were so hard to learn. I have some basic doctored cake mix recipes, frosting and instructions on getting level cakes and smooth buttercream frosting etc. if you are interested. Just PM and I'll send them to you.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:56am
post #8 of 12

As I would tell my brides, "you're not allowed to describe a cake as 'simple' unless you know what's involved." icon_biggrin.gif Sometimes the plainest cake is the hardest. Doing a basketweave covered in cascading roses is way easier for me than doing a plain iced cakes with a rose or two on each corner. WAY more work to get that icing smooth and perfect as opposed to being able to slap some flowers all over it to hide any imperfections! icon_rolleyes.gif

Pick a technique and practice it until you master it. then add to that and built your skills one step at a time.

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:36am
post #9 of 12

I would start with a round cake before tackling a square cake. I agreed to a square wedding cake thinking it wouldn't be any harder than a round one. All those corners were about the end of me - of my patience anyway.

rkei Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

As I would tell my brides, "you're not allowed to describe a cake as 'simple' unless you know what's involved." icon_biggrin.gif Sometimes the plainest cake is the hardest. Doing a basketweave covered in cascading roses is way easier for me than doing a plain iced cakes with a rose or two on each corner. WAY more work to get that icing smooth and perfect as opposed to being able to slap some flowers all over it to hide any imperfections! icon_rolleyes.gif

Pick a technique and practice it until you master it. then add to that and built your skills one step at a time.

Thank you! Your comments always help me!!

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitsnack

I would start with a round cake before tackling a square cake. I agreed to a square wedding cake thinking it wouldn't be any harder than a round one. All those corners were about the end of me - of my patience anyway.

Agree, square cakes are more difficult than round. thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:10am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkei

Yeah, Michaels is the craft store I'm talking about. And no, they do not sell cake. I was talking about the cake PAN.

Ok, now that makes total sense! icon_lol.gif I am with you now!

As Debi so aptly pointed out... the 'easier' a cake sounds, sometimes the harder it is. Which parts are giving you trouble? You said that all the ones you have done turned out as disasters... what happened? This is a great place to get those details hammered out!

Have you taken any classes or are you just kind of getting into it on your own? There is enough cumulative knowledge here to take you from icing newbie to professional decorator post haste, it's all up to how quickly you wanna tackle it! thumbs_up.gif

What can we help you with?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%